Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
You would be able to travel internationally, but most likely Sprint wont unlock the GSM side so you'll be stuck paying sprint's roaming rates. You will be able to roam on GSM carriers though which opens up most of the world.

Well, a Jailbreak can always fix that, having the ability to do it is the main thing ;)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Macrumors editors, I wish you could stop claiming "$20 billion commitment." WSJ said 30.5 million phones and somebody just multiplied that number with $650. You don't know the average price Sprint is paying for iPhones. It is very unlikely they are paying retail. The lower priced (4 now, 4 and 4S next year) will reduce the average price even further.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Macrumors editors, I wish you could stop claiming "$20 billion commitment." WSJ said 30.5 million phones and somebody just multiplied that number with $650. You don't know the average price Sprint is paying for iPhones. It is very unlikely they are paying retail. The lower priced (4 now, 4 and 4S next year) will reduce the average price even further.

THANK YOU!! I hate how people are referring to this article like it is the gospel. Remember what it also claimed? It claimed that Sprint will get iPhone 5 exclusively, something we all know didn't happen, so why do we still believe the 20 billion rumor?

Both Sprint and Apple declined to comment on the deal between them.

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
THANK YOU!! I hate how people are referring to this article like it is the gospel. Remember what it also claimed? It claimed that Sprint will get iPhone 5 exclusively, something we all know didn't happen, so why do we still believe the 20 billion rumor?

Technically those were two separate rumors lumped together in one MR article. Only the $20 billion worth of phones part came from WSJ.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

Those were separate rumors. The 30 million phones was from WSJ. The exclusivity just came out of someones backside at BGR (like all their stories).

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I still don't get the Android trolls. People really would rather have a bigger lower resolution screen, half the battery life to have spotty hardly available 4G coverage. What do you do on your phone that works better at 20mb downloads than at 8?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I'm happy that they have Sprint as an option. My AT&T network quality has been ok, not great. Verizon's customer service has been terrible in my past experiences with them, and look how they treat their workers - they're not getting my money. Maybe Sprint will be a good alternative when my current 2-year plan expires. I like that they don't charge you extra for texts and that their data plan is unlimited for $10 a month!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Sprint wanted the iPhone and that means they would need to go LTE to have a 4G iPhone one day. They just better sell all those iPhones they pre-purchased from Apple in order to pay for that new network. I think they will, but it seems to me that whereas the carriers used to dictate the handsets, now the handsets are dictating the carriers. We have Apple to thank for that (and Steve of course).

Shaych

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Sprint wanted the iPhone and that means they would need to go LTE to have a 4G iPhone one day. They just better sell all those iPhones they pre-purchased from Apple in order to pay for that new network. I think they will, but it seems to me that whereas the carriers used to dictate the handsets, now the handsets are dictating the carriers. We have Apple to thank for that (and Steve of course).

I think they have a pretty good chance of it. I mean... who knows how many are the cheaper units from Apple... and it's only 7.6 million units a year. I think the iPhone can sell that on their network easy...

Now they just have to survive long enough to start making money off these plans... and then maybe they will become profitable again. It could happen... and I hope it does... with unlimited plans.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I think the chip is scheduled for Q2 2012, meaning that it might just make it in the iPhone 5/6 next October, NOvember the latest. I don't see Apple missing out on a HUGE opportunity like LTE next year, when 80% will be covered the the right chip is ready.

The biggest problem about this, however, is how much will a heptaband antenna cost this soon in the LTE game? Sprint is about to become the T-Mobile of LTE by deploying it on 800/1600/1900; the rest of the Americas is mostly using 700/1700 while the rest of the world is mainly using 1800/2600. Pentaband UMTS antennas aren't commonplace yet, and the technology has been around for quite a while already.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I still don't get the Android trolls. People really would rather have a bigger lower resolution screen, half the battery life to have spotty hardly available 4G coverage. What do you do on your phone that works better at 20mb downloads than at 8?

Completely agree about bigger (less pocketable) screen with lower resolution and half battery life, although in general, I will ALWAYS take more speed if battery life isn't destroyed. Many of us tether, and fast internet is gooooood. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.