Sprint air card (Sierra) stops working -- have to reinstall every time.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andypop, Dec 11, 2008.

1. andypop macrumors newbie

Is there a way to use one of these Sprint USB air cards withOUT the software? Maybe connecting using the network prefs?

I know I can use my sprint phone as a modem by choosing Sprint, and using #777 as the dial in number, but this is a dedicated air card. Every time I plug the thing in, I have to reinstall the software to make it work.

help, please! :confused:

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Not sure if the OS can handle it. Usually there is a number/password/login or something similar when connecting through a network card that can be obtained by searching the web or calling the provider (not unusual for them to not know what the hell you're talking about) that you can try inserting in the Apple network settings for the card.

Otherwise, my suggestion is to uninstall the software that you are using from the "official" uninstaller, then search through your home/Library/Preferences, your home/Library/Application Support, and your HD/Library/Preferences, and HD/Library/App Support for anything related to that program (sierra wireless?edit, think Sprint uses their own software). Restart your machine, and then download a new copy from the developer's web site (as opposed to installing from the CD, or whatever installer you used previously) and run the installer from that. Restart the machine again (why not), and then set up the software to the card.

3. Salmar macrumors regular

I have the Sprint air cardmodel Sierra 595U USB modem. I've had it over a year now. When I first got this modem I only had windows computers and I used the c/d that came with the modem and installed it on two window laptops and it worked pretty good. Six months later I bought my first Mac ever computer (iMac) and the guy who sold me the modem told me to just put the original c/d into the Mac and it should work and I should get on line. Surprise, surprise, it didn't work so the salesman got me on a 3 way telephone conversation with sprint. Well it ended up that I had to download a one MB file (which I put on a c/d from my windows computer) and then transferred that one MB file into my iMac and low and behold it worked and I was able to connect and get online. Now the aircard that I first bought was over a year ago and maybe the newer ones are easier to connect to an Mac without going thru all the trouble I had to go to. But my suggestion is to contact Sprint which would be your provider and ask them to help. When I got mine over a year ago Sprint wasn't that familiar with Macs it seemed. Hopefully now they have learned something. Good luck

4. pmokover macrumors newbie

I know this is an old thread but a friend of mine who has a Sierra 598U USB modem (Sprint service) and an iMac G5 is having a similar problem. When she runs the Sprint SmartView program it says "No wireless device detected."

What is the name of that 1MB file you downloaded to make yours work and where did you get the file from?

Thanks
    Peter

5. belvdr macrumors 601

6. Salmar macrumors regular

I believe that uninstalling the original sprint software and downloading that "smartview" from Sprint/Nextel will solve the problem. Also go into network preferences and keep an eye on what is going on in there after installing smartview. I still get that " no wireless device detected even after I got everything working. See if you can glean any information from this website. It doesn't matter if it's a 595, 597, or 598 air card, it will still work.

http://www.belafontecode.com/using-a-sprint-compass-597-on-os-x/