Sprint allows users to "Buy" Early Upgrades!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pilot1226, Feb 10, 2012.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

"The promotion begins February 12th and is set to run through the 14th of April" I don't think it's going to help you get an iPhone 5 or whatever the next iPhone is called. I suppose there's a chance they'll make it a permanent thing, but according to the article for now it's just a promotion.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

AT&T does this as well. It's a flat $250 on top of the fully discounted price.

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

5. cynics macrumors G3

A lot of carriers have something similar but more unwritten. When the gnex came tons of people called and a majority were given their free upgrade early. You'll be surprised with what can be done with a simple phone call to the right person.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Seems Verizon is the only one without an early upgrade incentive for the iPhone right now, should be interesting what they come up with.

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

They try to make me use that last year but I didn't want to pay for my upgrade I was having a lot issues with my service and phone at the end they grant me an upgrade for free( it happens if you keep pushing them )

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

9. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they will extend this. I used to work in a cell phone store long time ago. And carriers were notorious for saying promotion expires at certain date, only to extend the promotion few times after that. Idea was to push dealers to sell more, tell potential buyers that "this is the last day of promotion" and be able to prove it.

I am hoping for GNEX to be released in that window, but maybe better phones would be announced during MWC

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

oct. 2010 i signed myself up for a 2 year contract and my wife up for a 1 year.

oct 2011 I go in to get a new phone for myself using my wifes upgrade.

They did so, but told me that for whatever reason, my line was eligible for an upgrade at the same subsidized price. I said "no way, you must mean that i'm eligible for an upgrade at DISCOUNTED pricing". They said, "well, we do that (Discounted pricing even if your 2 years isn't up) but your line is eligible for the EXACT same upgrade as your wifes". I still didn't believe them. I called verizon corporate help and they confirmed the same thing. I even broke it down in stupid: I said "I just paid $199 for a 16GB 4s on my wifes line... You're telling me that I could pay you another $199 for another 16GB 4s on my line right now today?" They said yes.

I don't remember the reasoning to be honest. Some special promo I guess.

The moral of the story is that upon further discussion they explained that normally I would be eligible at DISCOUNTED pricing at 1 year into a 2 year contract. That is, instead of $199, it's $199+$70 or something and they will let me re-sign.

My advice to you is to call them and inquire about DISCOUNTED pricing cause I think they've been doing this for a long time.

11. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yea definitely would rather get full subsidy one year into a two year contract. But worst case would still like the option that att and sprint are giving where even if you wont get full subsidy you can still upgrade for about 250 (worst case) on top of two year price that way you don't have to pay full retail.

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Well, if you're on verizon call your carrier and inquire!

Again, I can't really say why they are telling me that my 2 year line is eligible for the same $199 as my wifes line (I have a feeling it's something to do with my employer)... but I know that they will offer some sort of discounted upgrade price.

If you think about it, it really makes sense anyway. It's in their best interest to keep you around as a customer (renew another 2 year contract) even if you're not quite up.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921