Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, reports suggested Sprint and T-Mobile had once again resumed merger talks, and now it appears the two U.S. carriers may be close to inking a deal.

According to Reuters, Sprint and T-Mobile have "made progress" negotiating merger terms and are aiming to complete deal talks as soon as next week.

sprinttmobile.jpg

T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom and Sprint parent company SoftBank are said to be discussing an agreement that would "dictate how they exercise voting control over the combined company."
This could allow Deutsche Telekom to consolidate the combined company on its books, even if it does not have a majority stake in the combined company, one of the sources added. Deutsche Telekom owns more than 63 percent of T-mobile, while SoftBank owns 84.7 percent of Sprint.
Previous merger talks between Sprint and T-Mobile failed after the two companies were unable to reach "mutually agreeable terms." Sprint parent company SoftBank was said to be unsatisfied with the deal because of ownership terms, with SoftBank concerned about losing control of the combined company after Deutsche Telekom requested a controlling stake.

If T-Mobile and Sprint are able to establish a satisfactory deal, the combined company would have more than 100 million customers.

Sources that spoke to Reuters said there is "no certainty" a deal will be reached, given the dissolution of the previous merger talks.

Article Link: Sprint and T-Mobile Aiming to Reach Merger Deal Next Week

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
On one hand a merger of Spring and T-mobile might combine to make a real competitor to Verizon and AT&T but on the other it would make it easier for the three to collude.

Sprint may fail eventually anyway though they limp along.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If this means better 5G for the future than T-Mobile or Sprint could bring by themselves to their customers, then by all means merge. I suppose a triopoly is better than a duopoly. And there's certainly places in my area where Sprint gets signal and T-Mobile doesn't, and vice-versa.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I used to dread the day as a person who used T-Mobile when visiting the US. Now their PAYG plans stink for short visits. Let the merger take place!

Reactions: SoundJudgment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
10th times a charm, right?
[doublepost=1524787484][/doublepost]
Why would this be bad for consumers. T mobile and Sprint have cheapest rates.

Less competition. Less competition means less incentive for the combined company to offer good rates. They can simply raise their rates to those of AT&T and Verizon. Don't like it? Who else you gonna go to?

PeterL111

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2015
Bad idea? I don’t know what Sprint has been doing but whenever I pass by their store, it is often empty. Better a merger than declare bankrupt.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
No, no, no…! Sprint is a big mess, their activation policies are a mess - ever tried switching a Sprint SIM card to a new phone? It never works, you always have to call them! -, they use a technology (CDMA) that’s unique (US only) and proprietary (Qualcomm anyone…?), they’re bleeding money, etc… etc…
T-Mobile doesn’t know what they’re getting into, the merger will kill them!
How do we tell Légère that Sprint is a scam?

Kpeterk2444

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2018
I think everyone is missing the point. Sprint has a lot of spectrum assets that can be very useful in deploying 5G networks and competing better with Verizon and AT&T. Regardless of what you think of the anticompetetive aspect, both T-Mobile and Sprint customers would benefit from this. T-Mobile's network would gain the use of extra spectrum for faster data speeds, etc. Sprint customers would benefit from better coverage and a company looking to expand its footprint to better compete in the marketplace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.