Sprint Announces 'Magic Box' to Improve LTE Data Download and Upload Speeds By 200%

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sprint today announced the "Sprint Magic Box," a small plug-and-play device that the carrier said will "dramatically improve" LTE data services and connections for any Sprint customers in its range. The indoor consumer device is built to be placed near a window, and is free for qualifying customers, with no installation, labor, or rental costs attached to its use.

The Magic Box doesn't require a router or Wi-Fi to use -- Sprint also mentioned that it doesn't interfere with established Wi-Fi networks -- and it automatically connects to the nearest Sprint cell site to guide users through installation. Once it's up and running, Sprint said that users will see a better data experience while streaming videos and surfing online, with up to 200 percent increases in download and upload speeds.

[​IMG]

The carrier also said that the Magic Box will be additionally beneficial in cities, as one device will boost the densification of Sprint's network for any Sprint user nearby.
    One Magic Box has more than enough coverage to provide faster speeds for any average-sized home or business. According to Sprint, this means the device can cover an indoor area of around 30,000 square feet, and reaches up to 100 meters of outdoor coverage, with up to 64 simultaneous user connections sustainable on one Magic Box.

Users interested can fill out a request form to see if they qualify for the Magic Box, which can be found on Sprint's website. The form asks for a Sprint number and description of how users heard about the offer, among the usual name and email requirements.

Article Link: Sprint Announces 'Magic Box' to Improve LTE Data Download and Upload Speeds By 200%

2. BeyondtheTech, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

So 200% increase of a crappy Sprint LTE 2.3Mbps download speed will now be a whopping 6.9Mbps. Thanks, Magic Box!

3. klymr macrumors 65816

My network speeds at home would have been 0.04 Mbps down and 0.08 Mbps up...great improvement! Glad I'm no longer stuck on that sinking ship.

4. hubieonekanubie macrumors regular

hubieonekanubie

I guess this might be good if everyone in a neighborhood gets one. I live in a neighboring city of Overland Park, KS where Sprint in located (about 10 miles from their campus) and the only carrier that gets good service where I live is Verizon and even it has dead spots, but very few. I have friends that have Sprint that get absolutely no signal at my home. Otherwise, isn't wifi going to take care of this? How is this going to connect to a tower if a phone can't? Had to get an Airrave in my old home because we had Sprint for a brief time and the service was so bad. I used to work right by the campus and couldn't even get a signal there though that was quite a few years ago. That being said, I'm more than happy to support a hometown company if they could just get their network to work.

5. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Bullwinkle: "Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

Rocky: "... Again??

6. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Holy *#?! That box is YUGE!
    Must hold a lot of magic.

I still have at AT&T microcell. That box is the size of a modem. Sprint's box is the size of a VCR - which looks great in a window. :rolleyes:

7. critter13 macrumors 6502

so this is just data, does nothing for voice? bummer

8. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

The microcell uses your broadband connection to create a mini cell site. magic box enhances existing site coverage. It's meant more for businesses it seems.

9. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Does seem the case as businesses are likely to have windows large enough to support that beast of a box. :D

10. Urban Joe Suspended

Call me skeptical but anything that wonderful must cause cancer.

11. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

So it's a femtocell, except they've finally abandoned their absurd (from a customer service point of view) practice of charging you for a signal booster because their service is ****** in that area.

13. Awfisch macrumors regular

Awfisch

I'm sitting on my couch right now...

Attached Files:

14. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Not a femtocell... They require backhaul from you. This one appears to just amplify the already existing Sprint LTE signal

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Caution: standing too close to the Magic Box may result in unwanted side effects.

[​IMG]

16. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

A 200% increase would be 6.9Mbps (100% increase would be 4.6Mbps), but yeah, I get your point. Still, unless you switch carriers, a tripling in speed in nice, even if the starting point wasn't great.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

If I daisy chain them, can I get a 600-800% increase, in order to use the service?

I remember getting their unlimited plan and then I learned their bandwidth was horrible. Any carrier can offer unlimited data at extremely slow speeds.

18. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Doh, that's what I get for wanting to post first. They say that two-thirds of college-level Americans can't do basic math. That's almost 50 percent! :)

I've edited my original post, thanks.

19. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

20. avanpelt macrumors 68030

This "magic box" is nothing more than lipstick on a pig. No "magic" here, folks. Move along...

21. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

It's just a [rather large] single-unit signal booster. Quite magical...

You know what would be magical? Densifying their network so that devices like that aren't necessary.

22. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I wonder if they'll allow you to get one (eventually) if you're using a Sprint MVNO.

I am forever done with 1st party postpaid cell service.

23. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Sprint absolutely slowest LTE for a major carrier...Thank you T-Mobile and Verizon

24. jazzsam84 macrumors newbie

jazzsam84

I'm having a hard time understanding how this would be useful. Wouldn't I likely already have wifi anywhere I would put this?

25. usarioclave macrumors 65816

I wonder if these implement some odd tower-based hack. One problem with mobile wireless is you constantly need to adjust/range your signal. With a fixed receiver you can eliminate a lot of that.