Sprint Announces Unlimited Freedom Customers Will Get Free Access to Hulu Starting This Friday

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sprint and Hulu today announced a partnership that will bundle the Limited Commercials tier of the streaming TV service into Sprint's Unlimited Freedom cellular plan. This means that new and existing Sprint customers who sign up for Unlimited Freedom beginning Friday, November 17 will be able to watch Hulu with Limited Commercials at no extra cost.

In addition, the companies said that sometime "soon" Sprint Unlimited customers will also get to upgrade to Hulu's sports and news-centric live TV plan. Because Hulu with Live TV costs far more than the Limited Commercials plan ($40/month versus $8/month), an added cost for the bundled-in service is likely.

[​IMG]
    Sprint Unlimited Freedom offers unlimited talk, text, and data for $25/month per line and the addition of a fifth line is free on every plan, amounting to $100/month for a family of five people. This discounted offer lasts until January 31, 2019 and at that time will increase to $60/month for line 1, $40/month for line 2, and $30/month/line for lines 3-5. There's also HD streaming video and an included 10GB mobile hotspot feature.

For more information on the collaboration between Sprint and Hulu, visit the carrier's website right here. Those interested will be able to gain access to the offer starting November 17, and it'll only be available online through December 8.

The Sprint/Hulu partnership is similar to an announcement made by T-Mobile and Netflix in September, when the companies announced that T-Mobile ONE family plans would start coming with free Netflix subscriptions later that month. "Netflix on Us" requires customers to have two or more paid voice lines on a T-Mobile ONE family plan, and if they already pay for a Netflix subscription, the un-carrier covers the cost of the standard $10/month price: "meaning you'll save nearly $120 every year."

Article Link: Sprint Announces Unlimited Freedom Customers Will Get Free Access to Hulu Starting This Friday

2. DrJohnnyN macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

3. friedmud macrumors 65816

Interesting that each company has picked up a different video provider to add as a "perk":

ATT -> Free HBO
    TMobile -> Free Netflix
    Sprint -> Free Hulu

In a lot of ways these alignments make a lot of sense. It will be interesting to see if these perks really lead to picking up / retaining customers...

4. Don't Foul me macrumors member

You won't be able to make a call, but you'll be able to watch Hulu on your TV.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

6. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

People who take public transit do, by the millions. Yes.

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Does that apply to T-Mobile also when their network is unusable?

Are you able to watch Netflix for free on a TV or does it only apply to your mobile ?

I wouldn't get either Sprint or T-Mobile if you want actual coverage.

8. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Seriously?? Just how cozy it is that rock you’ve been sleeping under?

People have been doing that for years and years. Particularly commuters and travelers.

9. Jades macrumors 6502

10. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Where do you live that T-Mobile is so terrible? Or are you referring to 2014 T-Mobile that was actually terrible?

11. macaddiict macrumors regular

I switched to Sprint from Verizon in June and have been pleasantly surprised. The only thing I miss about Verizon is VoLTE (Sprint only offers LTE where I am- so data can’t happen at the same time as a phone call.)

If Sprint and Verizon were the same cost, i would choose Verizon. But having Sprint means I have about and extra $50 a month for other things. The difference in network quality that I have experienced isn’t even with $5 to me.

12. PowerGala macrumors regular

PowerGala

I guess it really depends on where you live. I get LTE coverage from Sprint at my house while my sister’s AT&T and T-Mobile phones get no signal at all. For me, Sprint is my only option and I’ve had pretty good luck with them.

Free Hulu is unexpected, but nice since I really like Hulu. It saves me another $8 a month.

13. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

"This discounted offer lasts until January 31, 2019 and at that time will increase to $60/month for line 1, $40/month for line 2, and $30/month/line for lines 3-5."

I hate when companies do things like this.

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

It's crap like that makes me not ever want to switch to Sprint, even if it had a solid coverage which it doesn't.

For a family of 5, the price will increase from $100/month to $190/month after January 31, 2019.

15. joueboy macrumors 65816

It seems like Sprint is not really thinking well on this. So they want people to signup for a much cheaper plan $25/line then get a free Hulu. While other plans that are more expensive would not? Enlighten me. There must be a catch on that plan then, maybe throttle you or something.:eek:

16. Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

Wonder if this will hit the unlimited BYOD plans. Probably not, but would be excellent. Better sevice than T-mobile around here, just not so great outside of a 45 minute radius.

17. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

That doesn't make sense. Just get a new plan. I'm almost 100% sure by Jan. 31, 2019 there will be better plans from Sprint, T-Mob, AT&T, and Verizon.

18. Codyak, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

Codyak macrumors 6502

Codyak

Was thinking this. Where I live and work 95% of the time, T-Mobile blows away my GF’s Verzion, sometimes being as much as 10x faster. Everywhere else we go there doesn’t seem to be any difference at all. The one funny time it does happen is at her parents’ cabin, where I have a good AT&T roaming signal and she has nothing.

19. zarmanto, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

zarmanto macrumors member

zarmanto

I'm a night owl, and frequently enjoy watching movies and shows on my iPhone with headphones in, after everyone else in the house has gone to sleep. Basically, holding it right up in front of my face makes it the perfect personal "big-screen" TV.

20. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

You can use data while in phone calls on LTE. The quality of voice however is degraded to 2G/3G connectivity though.

21. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Idk....I have T-Mobile and have service everywhere I go. Plus I do a lot of international travel and have free text and data in practically every country I go to. Only 2 countries I’ve been to without the perk are Vietnam and Morocco.

22. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Not on sprint you can’t. Unless your phone is on WiFi, you get an error message along the lines of ‘data is not available while on a phone call.’

23. eyeseeyou macrumors 68020

Ever since xfinity made their DVR's available in the cloud I really didn't have a need or use for hulu although free hulu is a nice perk.

24. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, T-Mobile's coverage is far better than AT&Ts as of late, AT&T keeps dropping calls like crazy while T-Mobile keeps working at full speed in the same spots and everywhere else.

25. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

The only catch is that you have to use Sprint. :p