Carrier Sprint - Can I unlock on Day 1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Sep 12, 2016.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am planning on cancelling a service with Sprint next week. I have a phone on order for Friday. Can I unlock the phone with Sprint on the release day if I paid for it outright? Or do I have to wait for a couple of months?

I read somewhere it needs to be active for 50 days! That would be a problem for me.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you buy from Apple or Sprint?

If you bought from Sprint then yeah, you have a problem.

50 days active before they will unlock.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ordered it on Apple.com for pickup. But it's a sprint phone. I also ordered a refurbished iPhone SE for my mom from Best Buy. Can I unlock these on day 1 and then cancel the account and switch carriers?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The one you ordered from Apple will come fully unlocked because even though it's a Sprint model you paid Apple full price.

Full price paid for whatever carrier model at Apple means unlocked. Full price paid at a carrier means locked, you wait and then can get it unlocked. The only exception is Verizon LTE capable phones which come fully unlocked no matter what you do/do not pay and whom you pay it to.

As far as Best Buy, I'd say you're going to have to wait on that one. Best Buy is operating as a Sprint retailer - so you bought it from Sprint essentially. Which means 50 days of being active.

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clarifying. I may have to return that phone ($35 return fee). Bummer. But I can't wait 50 days. Gotta cancel the service this month.

I guess there is a chance that the Best Buy iphone will already be unlocked from a previous customer. But I'd assume the chances are slim to none.