Sprint International Fail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekkierich, Oct 22, 2011.

1. tekkierich macrumors member

I am a new Sprint 4S customer. I was just told that to activate international features I would need to physically go to a Sprint Store and show two forms of ID. No matter how much I protested, they would not budge.
    I was in a store a week ago to buy my phone. At the moment I have no time to go out to a store and fix this before I need to leave on my trip (11am tomorrow)
    I even asked them to send me to customer retentions and they saw my bluff.

I called the store I bought the phone from, spoke to the guy who sold the phone to me. He remembered me (it took a while to order and we talked about cars and stuff), so basically could vouch that I am not fraudulent, but said there was nothing he could do to turn this feature on my account.

I bought this phone because it is a world phone, and now Sprint does not want to turn on my SIM for International roaming. I will attempt to buy local prepaid when I get where I am going, but if the SIM slot finds it's self locked, I will be returning my phone within it's 14 day window without a doubt.

I thought Sprint was supposed to be better about customer service.

2. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

I am waiting to hear how this develops. I am a 10 year sprint customer and waiting to find out that it will work overseas with a local country's sim card

When sprint finally announces solid details about how their international unlocking will work.. Only then will I buy a iPhone 4s from sprint

I travel every 2 months internationally and I want 1 phone. 1 phone for everything...

I may just go to AT&T when the unlocked phone comes available in November

I wish some sprint reps would read this website to shed some light on everything

3. tekkierich thread starter macrumors member

I think you will be alright. They did say they need to verify ID because I was a new account for less than 90 days.
    What really pisses me off is that I told the store rep about my trip when buying the phone. He should have known of the policy and asked me for ID right there so he could activate at time of purchase.

Oh, and when they were calling my bluff on canceling, apparently my phone call, and pin number were enough identification to handle disconnection of my account!

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

By the time you realized your phone is locked you will be outside the 14 day windows by the time you get home.

5. tekkierich thread starter macrumors member

actually I will be at day 12 when I return.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

If you've got an established account, they wouldn't have those requirements.

I've done it before, when spending several weeks in Canada, since I was an established customer, in good standing, I just had to call.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I love how you assume you know how long he will be away. What an unsubstantiated claim.