Sprint International Unlocking - Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derrick2005, Feb 15, 2012.

1. derrick2005 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I have my Sprint iPhone unlocked to be used internationally and have a few questions about how the phone will work with a foreign sim as I will be using a few over the next couple of months.

Firstly, I called Sprint and they told me they have now unlocked my 4s and then when I get overseas all I need to do is put a sim card in and it will work. Having looked at other posts I thought that I would be getting a text message saying my phone is unlocked and to complete the unlock the phone would need to be syncd with iTunes with another network's sim card in it. Is that true? Sprint didnt know.

Next, for a trip to Israel I would like to use a Cellcom sim card which comes with unlimited data for 30 days. I don't really understand the technical differences between teh different types of networks, but will this sim work with the unlocked sprint 4s?

Thanks

2. kalex macrumors 65816

you will need to put foreign sim in and activated either via itunes or wifi connection. Best thing to do is to test it now with foreign sim if you have one. If not then u will need to do it when u get to your destination.

is cellcom provider in israel? as long as your phone is unlocked u can use any foreign micro sim card from any GSM provider

3. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I will be getting the sim in the mail before I leave. So when it arrives I need to put it in the phone, (will a message pop up?) and then connect the phone to itunes and then when I travel it should work?

4. kalex macrumors 65816

yes once ur new sim comes in. pop it in and u will get a screen to activate it. let it go through the motions and it should be active and it will show up on ATT but roaming. Don't use it :)

5. gugu macrumors newbie

What's your process of unlocking it?

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Call sprint and ask them to unlock for international use.

7. gugu macrumors newbie

With a sprint account in good standing for at least 90 days? :confused:

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yep! That's their requirement!