Sprint iPhone 5 activation and unlock outside the US

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Proton77, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Proton77 macrumors newbie

Hi to everyone!
    I was looking a lot for this information but found nothing. Hope you can help me.

If I bought the sealed Sprint iPhone 5 on ebay without contract, as I understand it will be necessary to activate it on Sprint first and then ask Sprint for unlock. Is it possible to do outside United States for non US citizen?

Some people says that it will immediately work with another SIM card without activation on Sprint. But I need to know exactly.

Hope for your help.

2. samarsingla macrumors newbie

Any solution yet?

Hey

I am in the exact same situation. Did you find any answer yet?

I read that some users can use the Sprint iPhone 5 with GSM carriers outside US without SMS functionality. Do you know how?

Cheers
    Samar

3. toadc69 macrumors newbie

toadc69

Not finding anything for iPhone 5 unlocks yet

as the Jailbreak for iOS hasn't been offically released, there's not a lot going on in the unlock dept. it will happen, I'd reccomend NOT mixing up with any activation on a US carrier. As the restrictions implemented by the U.S. carriers are much harsher than the iPhones from anywhere else.

You'd want a SIM interposer, such as Gevey. They were the solution for unlocking since iPhone 4′s baseband 1.59.00 all the way to the iPhone 4S, until iOS 6 came out.

These x-sim guys out of Montenegro claim to have an unlock for iOS 6 on the 4S.

If you haven't started, I'd begin heading down the path of x-sim and gevey sim for your solution.

and don't activate in the States, if you can avoid it.

4. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

Yes, it is possible. No need to activation, but you may face SMS issue. But you can do it outside the US.

Put the Sprint SIM card to activate and then you can use your own SIM (in case your iPhone has been fully unlocked).

Apple issued SMS issue solution with Sprint iPhone 5 here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4459