iPhone Sprint iPhone 5 IMEI unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wjlafrance, Jan 16, 2013.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

Hey,

I've searched far and wide and can't find a definitive answer. Forgive me if its been discusses. I did search!

I have a Sprint iPhone 5 (99xxxx IMEI) and would like to unlock for use on AT&T (on an MNVO on their network), so a USA-based GSM carrier. For an international unlock I can just call up Sprint cause I'm in good standing but I'm looking for a in-country unlock.

I've heard that phones activated to CDMA networks can't be unlocked for USA GSM, and I've heard the other way also. Is there a site offering this kind of unlock?

Thanks guys!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

A Sprint iPhone can not be used on AT&T once factory unlocked. It could only be used internationally. Only the Verizon iPhone 5 can work on any GSM service, granted you won't be able to get 4G/LTE due to hardware and carrier incapabilities.

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

God damnit Sprint. I wanted my Sprint iPhone 5 to be unlocked for better selling purposes when the next iPhone comes out. Great. Looks like Big Red customers are gonna be happy. :p

4. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm altogether unhappy with Sprint right now.
    http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/529586

I think my next phone will be with AT&T or one of their NMVOs such as SimpleTalk. If my phone didn't need a carrier or contract I'd be a much happier guy. :p

5. dhlizard, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Congratulations !

You have just mastered the important concept if you desire to use your phone on a GSM carrier you start with a GSM phone.

Avoiding all the restrictions associated with CDMA phones will liberate you.

6. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, you know as well as I do that the Sprint iPhone 5 is as much as GSM iPhone as any other. I can use it on any GSM network I like as long as it's not in my home country! :)

But yeah, I think just buying the unlocked phone and using it on a dirt cheap network is a great way to do it if you can afford it.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My point went right over your head......

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No it's not. The Sprint iPhone is purely CDMA, which is a total different technology from GSM. Yes, you can use a foreign GSM provider once unlocked but that doesn't mean you could use T-Mobile or AT&T. Like I said before, the phone isn't made hardware/carrier wise to accomplish that.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Thank You ^^

ThreadStarter doesn't seem to have any idea about the capabilities/restrictions of GSM vs CDMA phones.

10. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

Cure me of my ignorance. How does the A1429 for Verizon differ from the A1429 for Sprint? Software restrictions, no?

As I understand it the only difference between the three hardware models of the iPhone 5 are which bands the antenna supports. The A1429 supports UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

With the software restrictions removed, as Verizon has done, you could use it on AT&T's network. I know this because I've used a GiffGaff SIM in a Verizon iPhone 4S which roamed on AT&T in the US.

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It just does. It's not software restrictions. As I keep mentioning, it's hardware and carrier restrictions. <<<< Read and re-read<<<<<

12. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I believe its carrier restriction. Hardware they are the same.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/11/06/the-iphone-5-does-nothing-to-end-apples-conspiracy-with-the-carriers/

So the reason it would work out side of US is because no one outside of US would adhere to Sprint's list. Thats my understanding at least.