Sprint iPhone 5c bad ESN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onlylikeloud, May 13, 2014.

1. onlylikeloud macrumors newbie

Hello bought a sprint iPhone 5c and turns out it has a bad esn. What can i do with this phone anything? Anyone tried or heard of rsim air 2?

2. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

You *might* be able to use it on a Sprint MVNO like Boost Mobile. Otherwise I'm afraid it's a paperweight.

3. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

IF you did buy it, get your money back. Considering you just joined to ask this question, we are going to assume you didn't buy it. lol

4. ktjensen, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

ktjensen macrumors member

Sprint iPhone 5c bad ESN

Bad ESN means it's stolen property. Thus why you always need to check on that. You can sell it on eBay with the clear statement it has a bad ESN and many people buy them for parts. Others buy them and use as IPOD TOUCH only. Eventually you can jailbreak the iPhone to get improved use.

5. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

6. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Try to return it, if not, you cannot[/u] use it on any of Sprint's MVNOs, RSIM might work. I read reports that all those 'override' SIMs require a good ESN.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Something smells about it.

If someone buys this they may get a clean ESN phone back, but something tells me the process isn't exactly kosher. Maybe not illegal, but IDK, maybe not ethical.

Just one point. The questions in the auction there, the seller is asked if you can swap carriers. The answer is no. So, even if the OP buys this they are still going to get a Sprint iPhone, just one with a clean ESN.

So, doing this does not allow you to switch carrier, color, model or whether it's unlocked or not. Also, they don't seem to do phones that have activation lock on them. They specifically state that there is no logicboard swap and they won't accept damaged phones. Just makes you wonder a bit.

8. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Send them overseas. Just because you don't understand how it works doesn't mean it won't. Also the statement "If someone buys this they may get a clean ESN phone back" should be "they will get a clean ESN phone back." OP asked what he or she could do with the phone and this service has worked for many others, in fact there are cheaper alternatives that do the same service. The bigger question is whether or not a Sprint phone is even worth throwing another 100 dollars. But if OP wants Sprint this is the best option for the situation

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I didn't say it would not work. I just have no idea how. That makes it fishy to me. Notice I did not say it was illegal, just questionable, but only because I don't understand what's happening.

Caution is always a good thing when dealing with an unknown.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

Use it as an iPod Touch or sell it on eBay then use the money to help buy one with a clean ESN.