Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasper84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
From what I've read asking sprint for a unlock is a mofo especially me not being a sprint customer yet also read something about they unlock for international not u.s use this is my question when a 5s Jailbreak is released would that offer a way to unlock Looked up info on the rsim pro 9 but no data or picture mail and some mention of a patch in the works to enable the data and picture mail any suggestions much appreciated

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You must be a Sprint customer for 90 days with your bill paid on time and not be on a restricted account before you can call and ask for an international unlock.

An Rsim or Gevey SIM is a SIM interposer. It sits in the middle between the network and the device allowing you to use a device on a network not normally allowed. But this is not a true unlock where your IMEI is entered in to the unlock database. Pull the SIM out and your phone is still locked.

Also when you update a device you also might need to buy a new SIM interposer.

As far as jailbreaking, there is no jailbreak for iOS 7 right now.

Jasper84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks for info I've been on YouTube Google here the benchmark site below gives some info on a pay unlock site really don't want sink more cash into the 5s think they charge $150 for a sprint permanent unlock I've got time to research not in any rush

http://benchmarkreviews.com/8391/iphone-5s-5c-5-4s-4-factory-unlock-att-verizon-sprint-tmobile-o2/

You must be a Sprint customer for 90 days with your bill paid on time and not be on a restricted account before you can call and ask for an international unlock.

An Rsim or Gevey SIM is a SIM interposer. It sits in the middle between the network and the device allowing you to use a device on a network not normally allowed. But this is not a true unlock where your IMEI is entered in to the unlock database. Pull the SIM out and your phone is still locked.

Also when you update a device you also might need to buy a new SIM interposer.

As far as jailbreaking, there is no jailbreak for iOS 7 right now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wouldn't trust anyone telling you they can give you a permanent unlock on Sprint. Sprint buys the phones from Apple. Sprint then takes the IMEI/MEID and records them and locks those numbers out of the unlock database. Further, they pair any SIM card in the phone with that SPECIFIC phone.

The hardware in the phone looks for the paired SIM.

Unless Sprint changes it's unlock policy for domestic use the only way is a SIM interposer. Thus, I would not trust anyone telling you they can give you a permanent unlock.

Last edited:

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I'm selling my Sprint 5 for this very reason. The sprint iphone is the only version that cannot be unlocked for US carriers. It is capable, it's just Sprint refuses to do it!

I'm moving to Tmobile with better data speeds. Sprint left a bad taste with me.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
I'm selling my Sprint 5 for this very reason. The sprint iphone is the only version that cannot be unlocked for US carriers. It is capable, it's just Sprint refuses to do it!

I'm moving to Tmobile with better data speeds. Sprint left a bad taste with me.

I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile when my contract's up, but after doing the math, it would be much more expensive to do so (I have a 20% discount on my sprint account).

But on the bright side, I've been getting LTE in most of Los Angeles, so I'm almost satisfied with the service :rolleyes:

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I was thinking about switching to T-Mobile when my contract's up, but after doing the math, it would be much more expensive to do so (I have a 20% discount on my sprint account).

But on the bright side, I've been getting LTE in most of Los Angeles, so I'm almost satisfied with the service :rolleyes:

I am planning on going T-Mobile prepaid, which I will be paying significantly less than what I am paying Sprint Post paid. I have a discount on my Sprint plan too, but it's at 18%.

It's about half and half with LTE and 3G. Voice is okay, but I sometimes do get dropped calls. It's Sprint's unlock policy that finally just made me throw in the towel.

Jasper84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I wouldn't trust anyone telling you they can give you a permanent unlock on Sprint. Sprint buys the phones from Apple. Sprint then takes the IMEI/MEID and records them and locks those numbers out of the unlock database. Further, they pair any SIM card in the phone with that SPECIFIC phone.

The hardware in the phone looks for the paired SIM.

Unless Sprint changes it's unlock policy for domestic use the only way is a SIM interposer. Thus, I would not trust anyone telling you they can give you a permanent unlock.

Lol reliable or not I'm not parting with $150 lol interposer with patch or a option when the iOS 7 Jailbreak comes out might be my plan thanks read your sprint thread good stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.