Sprint iPhone 6 A1586

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JuNxXxReY, Sep 20, 2014.

1. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

Hello,

I've been searching forums and can't seem to find anyone who has actually purchased a Sprint iPhone 6 from the Apple Store at full price. I was wondering if it was unlocked similar to when purchasing an AT&T and T-Mobile phone at full price from the Apple Store.

Many people have commented that they are locked, but that's only from what they've read or based on iPhone releases in the past.

Wanting to hear from someone who has actually paid full price (not subsidized) from the Apple Store (not Sprint).

Thank you.

2. AAPL21 macrumors member

Yeah, it would be nice if someone actually try it with their iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, just to see if anything has changed since 5S. I made the mistake of not purchasing a Sprint model yesterday, went back to Apple store today and saw a huge line, again. Ironically, there are many familiar faces from yesterday; professional scalpers who will be dumping their phones to China. I'll consider doing a test when the line dies down.

3. solodogg macrumors 6502

although I seriously doubt the full price Sprint model will be unlocked, if it is, I'm definitely returning mine and picking one up. Sprint models have more bands than any other carrier, and it would be awesome to have one that would work on any of the 4 carriers in the US.

4. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I had an unlocked Sprint 5c I purchased last year.. Actually it wasn't a Sprint model but I got it at the Apple Store ... They were out of Sprint 5c's they gave me an unlocked one... The 5c had issues so I got it replaced with a 5s which also ended up being unlocked.

That being said yesterday I purchased the A1586 yesterday that says its unlocked as well, but I've yet to try a SIM IN it... When I do I'll update

6. NICEE macrumors newbie

Went to Best Buy today where one sales associate told me all iPhone 6 are factory unlocked yesterday (launch day).

One of the guys at their mobile department confirmed to me that because of the misinformation, one customer bought a Sprint iPhone 6 and tried to use his T-Mobile sim card, it didn't work. Tried in a Verizon version, it worked. It's locked unfortunately.

Also their price for full-priced iPhones is $50 higher than of Apple Store. I saw a chart at RadioShack, Verizon and Sprint full-priced iPhone prices end in $49, not $99 (E.g $749, $849, not $799 or $849). Only AT&T's full-priced ones end in $99. Radioshack doesn't carry T-Mo phones but the full-price for a T-Mobile iPhone 6 ends in $49 too.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sprint iphones are NOT unlocked even at full price.
    Don't buy one thinking you can use it on any other carrier besides Sprint.

8. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks TThomas! Please keep us updated. Did you purchase your A1586 at full price from the Apple Store?

9. AAPL21 macrumors member

Please do let us know, so we have a record.

10. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

11. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Wow, I wanted a Sprint version for the extra bands, but if it's locked no matter what then I guess I'll stick with the AT&T, TMobile, Verizon model. Too bad Sprint, now there's no chance I'll switch to you since my phone won't support you.

12. eyoungren, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is going to change in February when Sprint will be forced to comply with the voluntary policy it agreed to with the three other major domestic carriers.

Unfortunately, since it's not February, the iPhone 6 and 6+ don't fit into this policy. In order to apply under these voluntary rules a phone will have to be manufactured after February 2015.

So, right now your chances are pretty much zero. In Tthomas612's case I'd wager that his situation has more to do with his past Apple/Sprint customer experiences versus any genuine instance of being truly unlocked.

13. AAPL21 macrumors member

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yeah it's really just being lucky more than anything. The 6 I have now I'm not so sure is like the 5c and 5s I had before it...

----------

I am trying to get a Verizon SIM so I can see what happens most likely tomorrow evening I'll be able to let you know for sure..

I'm guessing it may be a no, but we'll see.

15. AAPL21 macrumors member

Thank you, sir! :)

16. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

Where is the proof at of the Extra bands? I haven't read that anywhere.

17. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

18. JuNxXxReY thread starter macrumors regular

19. cub4bearin macrumors member

Sorry but it simply won't work at this point. Coworker of mine got iphone 6 and took her sprint card out and put mine Att and it didn't work.
    Then decided to turn off cdma on her sprint cellular settings, turned off the phone, took out her sprint sim and put my Att and it didn't work either.
    I gave up on this. Starting to look into buying iphone 6 from UK eBay. Lots of A1586 models out there. Only problem? They are expensive and go easily for $800+ for 16GB.

20. AAPL21 macrumors member

Buy it from the Japanese Apple store. Those haven been tested to be unlocked for use, even the td-lte works. Just have to find an forwarding service. Thanks for testing the sprint model.