Sprint iPhone For Life....which insurance should I get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hulkamaniac418, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Hulkamaniac418 macrumors newbie

I am planning on leasing the iPhone 6. I definitely want to get insurance for it. Which do you recommend? Sprints? AppleCare?

2. eyoungren, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

There are some differences between TEP (Total Equipment Protection, Sprint) and Applecare+.

AC+ does not cover theft/loss. It's simply a warranty.
    TEP is insurance so it covers everything, but you have a deductible that must be met based on Sprint's criteria (usually the first year there is no deductible, but check).

AC+ means you deal directly with Apple. All the way around better service.
    TEP means you deal directly with Sprint/Assurion. Theft/loss is covered, but your replacement may not be as quality as it would be with Apple.

AC+ gives you two incidents of ADH (Accidental Damage and Handling). Apple will replace or repair the phone for any damage not covered by warranty at $79 per incident.
    TEP does not have ADH. You'll have to pay the full deductible or repair cost if the damage is not covered by warranty.

AC+ is $99 once, up front and gives you two years.
    TEP is $11/month and will cover you for as long as you keep paying.

For reference, I got AC+ and TEP for my iPhone 5. TEP covers me for theft/loss. Now that my AC+ is expired I am solely covered by TEP. But it was nice not having to deal with Sprint for two years whenever I had a problem with my phone.

One final note. Apple will repair/replace your phone out of warranty. An OoW replacement is about $279 or so. But that may be less than TEP's deductible. It's certainly less than paying full price for a new phone replacement.

3. Hulkamaniac418 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the information :)

I guess I'm more worried about theft than damage. I always have a quality case for my phone, and I'm pretty safe with how I handle it.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I get it. I'm not a fan of cases myself and I am pretty careful with my stuff. But I originally got AC+ not for me, but to protect myself from others. There is at least one person I work with that has no regard for personal space and can damage almost anything without even trying.

For me, both AC+ and TEP was a good solid all the way around coverage type of thing and it kept me out of the Sprint store for over two years. Now, with my AC+ expired if I need something fixed I'm going to have to bite the bullet and talk to Sprint.