Sprint iPhone in advanced testing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Sprint iPhone in advanced testing
    http://www.9to5mac.com/71341/sprint-iphone-in-advanced-testing/

Sources tell 9to5Mac that a version of the iPhone for Sprint’s network is currently in advanced testing. The physical design of this device is akin to the iPhone 4 of today, so this might be the iPhone 4S device with support for all carriers that we have been dreaming up and hearing whispers about. Apple have ordered Sprint-compatible cell towers for use on their campus – for testing – in late 2010. Apple similarly tested the Verizon iPhone against Verizon cell towers on their campus months before the product’s release.

In addition to being actively tested in Apple’s “black labs,” the device is making the rounds amongst Sprint’s research and development department, the first generation Sprint iPhone that is currently in testing does not feature support for 4G bands.

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Oh God not WiMax! We don't need the smorgasbord board of bands getting out of hand I can see it:
    WiMax 2500
    LTE 700/1700
    UMTS 800/850/900/1700/1900/2100
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900

That's what you would need to support T-Mobile (+AT&T), AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint! Gosh..:rolleyes:

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think all the rumors point to the iPhone4S being 3G still, and that the iPhone6 due next Spring 2012, will be the BIG update with LTE. So the Sprint version would not have any WiMax support anyways, just the standard 3G band.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    Looks like all major 4 carriers in the US might get an iphone then.

5. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

It won't change too much

Att always had good phones and moderate contract prices
    Verizon always had the best phones with high contract prices
    T mobile had the worse phones with the lowest contract prices

Sprint has good phones but high prices, their system just doesnt fit in especially with the other 3 companies.

6. Gib, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

Gib macrumors member

Gib

My Simply Everything family plan is cheaper than anything from ATT or Verizon, just not with the phone i want. I can't wait for the Sprint iPhone.

From the article
    Boo! Why charge more for a 3G phone and not for a 4G model like the Evo? Oh, yeah. iPhones account for the majority of mobile data usage...

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I figured that I was just making the point that in the future the iPhone will have to support WiMax or customers will feel cheated. Unless Sprint rolls out EvDO Rev B....

8. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Way off there, it is more like this;

ATT = crap service, ok pricing, put all their eggs in one basket = iPhone, when they had iPhone exclusive, had **** crap Android devices.
    Verizon = excellent service, highest prices, average Android offering at best, iPhone will save them
    T-Mobile = good service, great pricing, was the top Android provider, with excellent phones, and Windows Mobile too.
    Sprint = good service, great pricing, as of Summer 2011, the #1 top Android provider, with the best devices, also known for Palm Pre, and Windows 7 too...add the iPhone4S, and they will become very competitive

9. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sprint has been spending some crazy cash lately on their network, and going LTE is 100% a done deal, they say have a way to convert WiMax towers to LTE, but will take until 2013/2014 for the whole country.