Sprint iphone upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rmt5, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rmt5 macrumors member

Like many, I'm interested in getting the iphone when it's released for Sprint. Assuming it's released in October though, I'll only be 14 or so months through my contract. Spring used to do upgrades every 12 months, but now it's every 22. (They booted those on the most common $70 contracts out of "gold" premier" to "silver" this past Spring, specifically to take away this perk), which is a shame.

Is there any established way to go about not having to pay $700 for this phone at launch? I assume the new customer, subsidized price for the base model will be $200 or $250. I could see shelling out $400-$450, but Jesus...

Do people ever pay the ETF, and then immediately sign a new contract?

Any other established methods?

thanks!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You did sign a contract and have to abide by the terms of that contract. If having a new iPhone is so important to you, your best recourse is to pay the ETF. Who knows, perhaps Sprint may offer a different path closer to the release date.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

4. hushmartin macrumors 6502

There aren't many truly new customers to be had in the mobile phone market-- they *have* to keep the ones they have and steal them away from other carriers in order to make more money.

If Sprint gets the iPhone and they have customers calling to cancel so they can go to att/verizon to get the iPhone, you'd better believe that they will figure out a way to make it happen for them at Sprint. So, that's exactly what I'd do.

5. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

If you were previously on the premier program and lost the early upgrade at 12 months due to the changes they made, Sprint is allegedly offering a 1-time override so that you can in fact get an upgrade after 12 months.

6. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

is it official? that Sprint will get the iPhone? or just some blogger babbling?

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This will most likely cause you to lose your number, as most carriers won't allow you to sing a new contract for [X] amount of time after canceling one.

8. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Correct. With Sprint it is either 90 days or 6 months. I don't remember.

One way around it, if you qualify for multiple lines, is to add a 2nd line to your account on it's own separate plan, then port your old line to a prepaid carrier, then port that line back in and replace the number on the new line you have just created.

If that fails, port the number to Google Voice, then forward those calls to your new number. The only drawback to that is no MMS will work to the GV number.

9. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

And also keep in mind that there's a possibility that Sprint will move up the renewal window when the iPhone comes out. AT&T has been known to do that.

10. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

At this point I think sprint or tmo getting the iPhone is just blogger babble. The iPhone has been going to come to many carriers for years, but it never did until Verizon this last year. I've got no proof but it wouldn't surprise me if apple held off another year just to get a little more hype up. I wish it would go to all carriers so everyone could have an android,iOS,wp7, or whatever choice on their carrier. It seems to be quite hard to guess what apple will *actually* ever do. I'm guessing that last year we thought we would have a new iPhone by this time this year. Who knows with them

11. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

I wouldn't expect Sprint to do this. They have never been very competitive when it comes to handset pricing and customer-friendly upgrade policies. Then again, Sprint needs to stop losing ~$1 billion every quarter, so maybe they would take drastic measures.