Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

undertowmusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
well, after 10 years with Sprint and waiting the last 2 years for our contract to expire so we could get iPhones... i had to return our family's three new 4s iPhones today and cancel the new Sprint contract. We ended up reactivating our old blackberries so we are not without phones between now and when the local Verizon stores have more iPhones in stock on the 28th.

the data speed is totally unusable where we are (Champaign, IL). .03mbps or worse. it went all the way up to .24mbps at 2am sunday morning.

everything works great while connected to wifi. but not at all when on the Sprint network.

it was painfully obvious when i went to work today. friends have older ATT and Verizon iPhones and they were all getting 1.5 - 2.0 mbps speeds. Everything working like it should. no problems at all.

I wanted to stay with Sprint. never had any problems with them before. i'd be willing to accept a small difference in speed. but this seems like a major problem for Sprint. they need to get out in front of this with a statement and a solution or else they are gonna lose a lot of long-time customers.

Verizon seems to have overall better coverage and speed in our town. So we'll try them out.

dbsimm

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011

Attachments

• 2011-10-16_22-44-43_543.jpg
    2011-10-16_22-44-43_543.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 2011-10-16_22-46-24_947.jpg
    2011-10-16_22-46-24_947.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 88

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
People nationwide are reporting incredibly slow data rates, but it has been mixed bag; some say it is the phone, some say it is the network. I know someone who has a Blackberry on Sprint and they say the web and all seems fine. But then again, Blackberry does not typically use as much data as the iPhone.

I am getting mine from Sprint this Friday, and will test the heck of it at work and at home. If it is not a go, it is going back.

But what should I do for a plan B? I hate Verizon with passion, that company screwed me over so bad a few years ago, and AT&T is useless - data is great phone is awful. Ugh...

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
But what should I do for a plan B? I hate Verizon with passion, that company screwed me over so bad a few years ago, and AT&T is useless - data is great phone is awful. Ugh...

Get over your issues with V or A. They're soulless companies that don't have it out for any particular person, including you. Pick whichever one works best and move on. Your protest of one or the other major provider while stoic, isn't doing anything except punishing yourself since there is no alternative for the iphone.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Get over your issues with V or A. They're soulless companies that don't have it out for any particular person, including you. Pick whichever one works best and move on. Your protest of one or the other major provider while stoic, isn't doing anything except punishing yourself since there is no alternative for the iphone.

Thanks for the advice. AT&T have been nice, but I live in a city with buildings and signal is horrific. People tell me I sound like I am talking from underwater, and the past two years have been a pain, phonewise. Now I know Sprint has better coverage, and handles cities better, but I can't live with animec data.

Let's hope Sprint get their act together.

emediately

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
iPhone 4S Slow Speeds on Verizon

I have a Verizon iPhone 4S and my bro has the Verizon iphone 4.

The data speeds on the Verizon iphone 4S are the SAME over 3G, if not worse.

iOS5 is nice, but the iPhone 4S is ********. No improvements. Camera quality isn't noticable on the iPhone screen. And it might be a lil faster, but battery is same if not worse, and 3G speeds SUCK! $460 for what?

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
THIS NEEDS TO STOP: http://fixthe3gsprint.tumblr.com/

Every time the slow 3G problems make it into the blog headlines, Sprint releases a statement saying their network is just fine. IT'S NOT!

Submit screenshots of your speed test results and pass it around the Internets!

I am not sure why you would be surprised at this.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint release statements often where there is very little if any truth to them. I think many are just used to it.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I have a Verizon iPhone 4S and my bro has the Verizon iphone 4.

The data speeds on the Verizon iphone 4S are the SAME over 3G, if not worse.

iOS5 is nice, but the iPhone 4S is ********. No improvements. Camera quality isn't noticable on the iPhone screen. And it might be a lil faster, but battery is same if not worse, and 3G speeds SUCK! $460 for what?

Well of course the 4 and 4s verizon have same data speed, the Verizon network maxes out at like 3mpbs , far below the capabilities of the 4s and 4.

Return the phone, no one has a gun to your head. As a 3gs user I am beyond excited for all the improvements.

Hyytekk

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
The reality of iPhone 4S on Sprint

I have had Sprint for over 11 years and was elated at finally having the iPhone option which I preordered after doing my due diligence research. Unfortunately, everything I was told was either misleading or a lie due to ignorance perhaps or perhaps deliberate deception. First was the download speed problem. I went to the Sprint store to ask if they had a demo model to test the download speeds or if they had any local data to give a customer an idea of performance. I was told they did not receive any advance units but showed me speeds tested at the store on other phones over 3G. Those speeds were from 1 to 1.75m downloads. The iPhone 4S would have at least that speed I was told. The reality after receiving the phone was about one tenth of that speed, though it varied wildly. Side by side tests with friends who had the iPhone 4 with ATT, showed they were getting speeds from 5 to 50 times faster! That blew me away. That's a main reason people buy a smart phone. Problem 2: We were all told the trial/return window was 14 days from "activation". Thank god I read blogs saying they were now saying 14 days from time of purchase! That gave the pre orderers much less time. That was downright deceit. Problem 3: This is a world phone. I had a Blackberry Tour that had a swappable sim card so I could receive local rates in other countries. I again called Sprint and asked precise questions even from supervisors. I was assured the 4S would work exactly like that. Later a bizarrely confusing statement was released regarding that usage. After calling again, now I was told that Apple does not authorize using a local sim card but only the included sim card meaning all calls placed from out of the country would be routed through Sprint's partner in that country. The cost would be either $1.99 per minute or $2.29 per minute! Again, an outright lie from what I was assured of and influenced my order. Problem 4: Sprint charges a restocking fee for returning the phone of $35! So with the activation fee that means it cost me about $100 to use a phone for about one week that I bought because of being told completely incorrect information. Problem 5: When I returned the phone today, the Sprint service person at my local store was so rude it blew me away, because I went out of my way to be polite and say nothing of the deception I encountered. I offered to show her how a uTube video stops every second or two over their 3g network to inform her of the issue. She wanted nothing of it. I asked if others were returning their iPhones and she rudely said I was the only one. But the sign-in sheet showed the person right before me was returning theirs also. I reactivated my blackberry, but just until I can sign up with AT&T. I was extremely disappointed with Sprint after a decade of loyalty. Buyer beware.

Beckles1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Returned my sprint 4s

I reported and complained to sprint. They insisted some people were okay, but quite frankly, I decided not to hang in there with them and potentially get locked in for two years with subpar data speeds. My work apps won't work on the phone as it was so slow. So, Verizon for me. Seems like the best blend between good phone service and good data speed. Hope it goes okay.

----------

Ps the apple store had a good stock of the Verizon phones even though Verizon said they're sold out.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Problem 4: Sprint charges a restocking fee for returning the phone of $35! So with the activation fee that means it cost me about $100 to use a phone for about one week that I bought because of being told completely incorrect information. Buyer beware.

I've decided that I'm not paying Sprint one dime. I'm not paying the activation fee, restocking fee or any service charge for the 4 days that I had the 4 iPhones. As far as I'm concerned they didn't provide the service that they promised when I signed the contract. I had trouble with dropped calls and with calls breaking up. The data wasn't just slow but it was nonexistent in much of the Gastonia area which boarders Charlotte. Their maps claim that this whole area has very good coverage. I even had trouble getting data at their corporate store!

Apple messed up in making this deal with Sprint. They're as much to blame for this as Sprint is.

MasterDan

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
iPhone is the problem!

In my opinion, the iPhone 4s on Sprint's network IS the problem. Before the iPhone was launched on Sprint, I was averaging 1—1.5 mbps on 3G for a year. Now the best I can get at any point in time is up to maybe 0.5 mbps. This started happening the day after the iPhone was released on Sprint. Coincidence? I doubt it. One more reason for me to absolutely despise the iPhone.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
So what's the latest news? Has it gotten better with sprint? I don't have one yet, but I'm thinking of getting an iphone...

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Yep I am looking at getting the i5 once it comes out this summer ... will it suffer from the same problems?

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
well, after 10 years with Sprint and waiting the last 2 years for our contract to expire so we could get iPhones... i had to return our family's three new 4s iPhones today and cancel the new Sprint contract. We ended up reactivating our old blackberries so we are not without phones between now and when the local Verizon stores have more iPhones in stock on the 28th.

the data speed is totally unusable where we are (Champaign, IL). .03mbps or worse. it went all the way up to .24mbps at 2am sunday morning.

everything works great while connected to wifi. but not at all when on the Sprint network.

it was painfully obvious when i went to work today. friends have older ATT and Verizon iPhones and they were all getting 1.5 - 2.0 mbps speeds. Everything working like it should. no problems at all.

I wanted to stay with Sprint. never had any problems with them before. i'd be willing to accept a small difference in speed. but this seems like a major problem for Sprint. they need to get out in front of this with a statement and a solution or else they are gonna lose a lot of long-time customers.

Verizon seems to have overall better coverage and speed in our town. So we'll try them out.

Unless your in Chicago your better off having Verizon. ATT and Sprint have horrendous coverage anywhere south of Chicago.

CESCADA

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Sprint data speed in greater washington dc - dreadfully slow

I live in the Metro DC area and have been complaining since I got an iPhone under Sprint this past October (I was previously with AT&T since day # 2 of the first generation iPhone and left AT&T last October because they simply had poor phone service and dropped calls). After complaining to Sprint, all they do is put up "smoke screens" to delay the inevitable! There seems to be no recourse but to pay the early termination fee and go to a competitor! I am not even confident that they will timely acquire 4G by the time the next generation iPhone is released, Perhaps (and that's a big perhaps!) Sprint in not interested in upgrading the current 3G system in the greater Washington area, due to the pending 4G? Sprint seems to be banking on customers holding out because they have an unlimited plan? I should say not, because the extremely slow data speed is too frustrating and you will jump ship at the first sign of a new iPhone. I wrote an email to Mr. Hesse who passed it off to a member of his executive customer care staff; still more smoke screens... After Apple analyzed my iPhone as not having any issues at all, I made a proposal to Sprint that would have caused me to hold out until they got 4G in the area = they denied my proposal probably because they are not even confident that 4G will be in the area before years end! I started to say the h_ll with Sprint and activate my iPhone 4 (unlocked from AT&T), but Siri keeps me in my current dilemma. HOWEVER as soon as the next generation iPhone is released I will pay the early termination fee to Sprint and leave them forever, going to a competitor!
Every test site indicates that Sprint has the slowest data speed out of AT&T, Verizon, Sprint! I just did a test on Speedtest.net and the Sprint results are: Download - 0.19 Mbps; Upload - 0.03 Mbps. Here are the results of the current Compare networks on iPhone: AT&T = 1.91 Mbps; Verizon = 794 Kbps; Sprint = 398 Kbps.
It's a sad state of affairs when you would yearn for even the Verizon data speed!

shadowhawk2020

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
http://www.sprint.com/network

Sprint is upgrading their 3g as well as trying to deploy their new 4g network. Slow process, but it will eventually be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.