Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dkoc13

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
I wanna use att on the sprint iPhone but people tell me yes and no you can. So before I open the phone(just got it from Apple store) also I paid it full price. Do I just put my SIM card in before turning on the phone and it works?

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Interested as well. I want to buy the GSM/CDMA model with Qualcomm modem for use on AT&T, and so have been limiting my search to Verizon models as that is all others seem to refer to when speaking of AT&T-compatibility. But they are hard to find, while there are currently a fair number of Sprint models in stock around me.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
Currently using a paid in full Sprint X on T-Mobile with no issues. As long as you pay in full, purchase "device only" from the Apple Store, all of their phones come carrier unlocked and will work with any other SIM card.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Lisa Gade (Mobiletechreview) has been sponsored a couple of times by a group called "the unlocking company."

I decided to waste some money so I gave them a try. It was not cheap ($79.00), and they took longer than they originally said that they would, but they did unlock my T-Mobile LG V30 for me. I verified it with T-Mobile and via the use of a Verizon SIM.
[doublepost=1510852600][/doublepost]
Currently using a paid in full Sprint X on T-Mobile with no issues. As long as you pay in full, purchase "device only" from the Apple Store, all of their phones come carrier unlocked and will work with any other SIM card.

I am very glad to hear this. The rumor was that all of the iPhone X were locked to a carrier even if purchased in full.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
I am very glad to hear this. The rumor was that all of the iPhone X were locked to a carrier even if purchased in full.

So far, I have owned 2 T-Mobile X's and a Sprint X, all 3 of which have been used with both a T-Mobile SIM and a Verizon SIM for testing purposes. So that rumor has definitely been debunked :)

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
[QUOTE="George Knighton, post: 25477983, member: 502976"...I am very glad to hear this. The rumor was that all of the iPhone X were locked to a carrier even if purchased in full.[/QUOTE]
This is not true for iPhones purchased directly from Apple retail. They will all be unlocked if you pay full price at point of sale. Also if you purchase on the IUP, your iPhone will also be unlocked.

iPhones purchased from the Carrier at full price are still locked to the carrier by default in the USA. With AT&T you can request the unlock as soon as you purchase the device.

Dave

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
solodogg said:
So far, I have owned 2 T-Mobile X's and a Sprint X, all 3 of which have been used with both a T-Mobile SIM and a Verizon SIM for testing purposes. So that rumor has definitely been debunked

dave006 said:
This is not true for iPhones purchased directly from Apple retail. They will all be unlocked if you pay full price at point of sale. Also if you purchase on the IUP, your iPhone will also be unlocked.

iPhones purchased from the Carrier at full price are still locked to the carrier by default in the USA. With AT&T you can request the unlock as soon as you purchase the device.

Thank you both very much for keeping the facts straight.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
If it’s the sprint iPhone you would need to contact sprint. However they are not very easy to deal with unlocking devices.
Wrong. Sprint models purchased full price from the Apple store come unlocked.

Dkoc13

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
So, the phone that I got from Apple ended up being a Verizon and it works great on my att service.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Wrong. Sprint models purchased full price from the Apple store come unlocked.
For some reason the "AT&T" iPhone X I paid full price for did come unlocked, but only after I activated it with my AT&T account details. Seems like the Sprint one would be a hassle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.