sprint iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBallin22, Feb 26, 2011.

1. MacBallin22 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Just curious to see if anyone has significant information for one to believe that the iphone will come to sprint in 2011. I really hoping sprint can make a deal with apple because in the end everyone will be a winner! Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I think that if Sprint wants an iPhone for their network most likely Apple would have to build or structure an unique 4G chip that supports WIMAX.

In contrast Verizon and AT&T decided to take and invest in LTE/700MHz frequencies for future 4G technology/devices in North America and perhaps Europe and other parts of the world, so Apple would be better off investing in an LTE 4G chip which would be compatible on both Verizon and AT&T and world-wide networks than on Sprint's WIMAX.

Now they can always make the current Verizon CDMA version work on Sprint.

3. deanfx4u macrumors regular

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Nobody but the higher ups at Apple and Sprint know. Sprint getting the iPhone would be good for us the consumers but IMO I don't see Sprint getting the iPhone because their 4G is WiMax were Verizon is LTE like most of the world.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Doubt it. Sprint just doesn't have the coverage compared to att and verizon.

6. MacBallin22 thread starter macrumors member

7. Mstyle88 macrumors newbie

To get a good analysis of the possibility of the iphone landing on Sprint and/or T-Mobile do a search. You'll find excellent threads of the pros and cons.

I personally think its possible and could happen this year. It wouldn't take any major hardware hurdle and Apple would gain access to Sprints roughly 50mil customer base. Thats a few million iPhone sales right there. With the new Qualcomm chips, it looks like T-Mobile USA's range is feasible as well so again, no major tweaking. As far as LTE, it wont happen this year and it looks like Sprint will be adopting LTE. You cannot use that as a reason considering all the iPhone carriers around the world and how not every one of them have adopted LTE. Considering 50% of Android users are on Sprint and T-Mobile it makes sense and would quickly stunt Android's growth.

8. efp722 macrumors regular

I work for a 3rd party dealer and word floating around our company is we will see one by this fall.

We are also incorporating LTE in with our WiMAX.

I can't really show any solid proof so I expect that most of you won't believe me ha.

9. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

I hope your right. More competition!

10. efp722 macrumors regular

Yea same. It won't be that big of a change hardware wise. It just sucks because I just got rid of my employee plan and evo for the Verizon iPhone (which I love) and I am sick of having strange looks from all the customers asking is that the Sprint iPhone haha.

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There's no Sprint iPhone anywhere on the horizon. None (as far as we know).
    Ultimately, no one really cares about Sprint too much. Sorry.

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I care about Sprint. If the iPhone showed up over at Sprint I would be with them in a second. Got excellent coverage, fast data, and lowest pricing of all the carriers I have been with.

Yeah I would be on their network in a second.

14. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

15. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Seems fake to me. I mean, from what I've heard, you have to get Sprint to recognize the phone, among other things - and that includes registering the devices EID (? think that's the right name) with Sprint.

16. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I would think, some of the 49 million Sprint customers might care :rolleyes:

Apple would be foolish not to release the iPhone5 on Sprint and T-Mobile. Those two carriers combined have almost 100 million U.S. customers, and putting the iPhone on those two, would surely garner many millions of new buyers for Apple. And would also put a huge dent in Android sales.

How many carriers world wide is the iPhone4 on ? Like a dozen or more I think ? Adding two more from the U.S. would only profit Apple.

Also T-Mobile was spreading rumors last year of the iPhone coming to T-Mobile U.S. in the near future, and would be easy for Apple to make that happen, because in Europe the T-Mobile thier already sells the iPhone, so there is a business relationship already set.

17. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I think T mobile will get the iPhone next because all Apple has to do is add T Mobile 1700MHz band. The thing about Sprint is Apple would have to make a future WiMax CDMA phone. What's the point when most of the world is going to be using LTE in the next couple of years. Unless Sprint decides to switch their WiMax 4G network to LTE I don't think they will ever get the iPhone.

18. kre62 macrumors 68000

Im guessing this just changes the carrier word to Sprint (Like "Make it Mine"). It doesn't really make the phone work on Sprint. You would have to call sprint, set up a plan, and register the device with them for it to work. This guy claims it all just "works" which is not possible. The phone is still on Verizon, it just changed the carrier display to read Sprint.

19. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Well if the iPhone is still a 3G device for now, couldn't Apple bring it to Sprint then and not even worry about WiMax if there is no 4G iPhone yet until iPhone6 ? Isn't Sprint's 3G very similar to Verizon, I mean radio and technology wise ? So should be easy for the Verizon style CDMA iPhone hardware to be converted to Sprint without an entirely new set of hardware in there ? Meaning no 4G of course.

And word is that Sprint is planning on slowly converting WiMax to LTE, starting later this year.

20. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Sprint is looking into LTE but it's not a for sure move and if they do move to LTE how long is it going to take? At least a year or two. Apple could put out a CDMA iPhone to work on Sprint's 3G network but it's doesn'take sense for them to put an iphone on Sprint unless Sprint moves to LTE for their 4G network. Everything is moving to 4G.

Say Apple does make a sprint iPhone that means there going have to make a WiMax iPhone if Sprint doesnt move to LTE. WiMax around the world is going have less users than CDMA does.

I just don't see it. I could be wrong an I do hope I'm wrong because adding Sprint and T Mobile to the mix will be better for us the consumers. Look at Att and Verizon fighting over us can you imagine what it will be like if Sprint and T Mobile get the iPhone too.

21. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Good points. But I read rumors that Apple still isn't ready for making the iPhone-next, 4G quite yet, that they would wait until 2012 when 4G is spread out all over the U.S. Plus right now it seems the radios to enable 4G are major battery hogs, because they have to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G, causing big drain on the power.

My EVO is 4G, and I enable the 4G maybe a couple times a month at best, it kills battery, and is not that much faster to make a huge difference to me. And word is the new Verizon Thunderbolt when using LTE kills the battery too.

So I would not be surprised if the iPhone-next was still 3G ?

22. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

I wish everyone here had your logic! Great post.

23. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

There's no reason to throw WiMax on a Sprint iPhone. The next two phones that Sprint is releasing (Echo and Arrive) are 3G only as far as I know. As of right now there aren't any 4G phones announced or on the horizon for Sprint. I think an iPhone that is 3G only would be just fine.

24. Jarhead247 macrumors newbie

Doesn't Sprint have a reciprocal roaming agreement with Verizon (ie, a Sprint phone can roam on the Verizon network without being charged roaming minutes/rates). If you have a Sprint phone/service, you get coverage everywhere that Verizon have coverage.

25. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Yes sir. That is why I love Sprint. My monthly bill is super cheap to run my EVO 4G, and I get excellent service. An iPhone on sprint would be best deal.