Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveolej

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
SW OH
Not that terrible. I have a tower 1/2 mile away and get a 25% discount through work. No LTE for a while though, it looks like

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I preordered around 4:45 AM EST through the Sprint website. I checked my order and it says they'll try their best to get it out by 9/21 but there's also a backorder message. I'm going to guess neither of us got in on the first batch.

rushluvr

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Not at all. I get about 2800kbps

Depends on your area. I live in SoCal and was seeing laughable speeds of like 550kbps on 3G and was lucky to get 3Mbps on WiMax. Thats when I left. It was the 4s that broke Sprint's network. I had been with Sprint for 5 years and had great speeds. A few months after the release of the 4s is when the network issues started and it slowed to a crawl.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Depends on your area. I live in SoCal and was seeing laughable speeds of like 550kbps on 3G and was lucky to get 3Mbps on WiMax. Thats when I left. It was the 4s that broke Sprint's network. I had been with Sprint for 5 years and had great speeds. A few months after the release of the 4s is when the network issues started and it slowed to a crawl.

sprint was dumb and advertised unlimited data

i have AT&T and every time i look at other carriers sprint is always more expensive than my plan with AT&T. The new mobile share plans will be the last nail in the coffin

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Exactly my thoughts lol

In my area, AT&T has much worse coverage. Who'd want to go there?

And given the choice with Verizon's share your wallet plans, who'd want to go there?

With Sprint, if you have good coverage, you get unlimited data. Their LTE is rolling out. They're redoing their network. Which I believe, unlike AT&T who says their investing all sorts of money and 4 years after I complained, their coverage is even worse in my area. They're even worse than TMobile. I can't believe anyone stays with AT&T.

daveolej

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
SW OH
I preordered around 4:45 AM EST through the Sprint website. I checked my order and it says they'll try their best to get it out by 9/21 but there's also a backorder message. I'm going to guess neither of us got in on the first batch.

My message says if you ordered after 2pm CDT you are in the 2 week batch. Any orders before that time will be delivered by the 21st

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Try Midtown Manhattan on AT&T's "4G" HSPA+ network on a weekday and see if you still consider 550kbps "laughable." I SO can't wait for my LTE iPhone to arrive. LTE is much better in NYC.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Try Midtown Manhattan on AT&T's "4G" HSPA+ network on a weekday and see if you still consider 550kbps "laughable." I SO can't wait for my LTE iPhone to arrive. LTE is much better in NYC.

For now. Wait till all the iphones are on it :)

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA

Not anymore. The HSPA+ is clogged with iPhones. Now LTE will be too.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
In my area, AT&T has much worse coverage. Who'd want to go there?

And given the choice with Verizon's share your wallet plans, who'd want to go there?

With Sprint, if you have good coverage, you get unlimited data. Their LTE is rolling out. They're redoing their network. Which I believe, unlike AT&T who says their investing all sorts of money and 4 years after I complained, their coverage is even worse in my area. They're even worse than TMobile. I can't believe anyone stays with AT&T.

You said it, in your area. The reason AT&T and Verizon have more customers is their service is better in more areas that Sprint and tMobile.

It sucks, but you're the minority not the norm.

daveolej

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
SW OH
Where are you seeing this message when you check your order?

At http://www.sprint.com/myorder

Status: Thank you for pre-ordering the 16G iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Pre-orders placed through 2 pm CT on 9/14 will arrive on or around 9/21. Orders placed after 2 pm CT on 9/14 will ship in 2 weeks. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For now. Wait till all the iphones are on it :)

Not anymore. The HSPA+ is clogged with iPhones. Now LTE will be too.

True, but LTE is more spectral efficient. I'm getting 2G (not even 2.5G) speeds on HSPA+. I'd be happy with 3G speeds on LTE. There are also lots of Galaxy S3s, etc. here along with LTE iPads so it isn't as if the LTE network is completely unused.

daveolej

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
SW OH
You said it, in your area. The reason AT&T and Verizon have more customers is their service is better in more areas that Sprint and tMobile.

It sucks, but you're the minority not the norm.

Im the minority too

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
At http://www.sprint.com/myorder

Status: Thank you for pre-ordering the 16G iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Pre-orders placed through 2 pm CT on 9/14 will arrive on or around 9/21. Orders placed after 2 pm CT on 9/14 will ship in 2 weeks. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

Interesting. I don't get anything like that on my status. Did you order 8 AM EST or PST? Mine says:

Status: Thank you for pre-ordering the 64G iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Your device will arrive on or around September 21. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

daveolej

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
SW OH
Interesting. I don't get anything like that on my status. Did you order 8 AM EST or PST? Mine says:

Status: Thank you for pre-ordering the 64G iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Your device will arrive on or around September 21. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

Interesting. I ordered at 7:50am est

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Interesting. I ordered at 7:50am est

Wonder what that means. I originally ordered through Apple right before 1 am PST and then cancelled and ordered with Sprint at 622 AM PST. According to the note on your status, I should still be good for the 9/21 delivery but I guess we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.