Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced an update to its lineup of unlimited cellular plans, with four tiers that offer unlimited data, talk, and text, HD streaming, global roaming, and more.

At the top, Unlimited Plus offers unlimited data, talk, and text nationwide with a 15GB LTE mobile hotspot, Hulu (Limited Commercials) and Tidal Premium (not HiFi) subscriptions, 1080p video streaming, and text and data in over 185 worldwide destinations. Under this plan, when roaming in Canada and Mexico you can also get unlimited talk and text and 10GB of 4G LTE data.

sprint-unlimited-plans-july-2018.jpg

Unlimited Plus starts at $70/month for one line, or is available for $22 per month per line for five lines, if you bring your own phone or buy a new phone outright from Sprint. Those that decide to lease a phone will get Unlimited Plus at the regular price of $42 per month per line for five lines.

The next tier is Unlimited Basic, which includes unlimited data, talk, and text nationwide with a 500MB LTE mobile hotspot, a Hulu subscription, 480p video streaming, and text and data in over 185 worldwide destinations. Roaming data in Canada and Mexico is slightly lowered in this plan with 5GB of 4G LTE data.

Unlimited Basic starts at $60/month for one line, or is available for $32 per month per line for five lines.

The last two plans are geared at military and older users, called Unlimited Military and Unlimited 55+:
Sprint salutes veterans, active duty and reserves of the U.S. armed forces with our Unlimited Military plan. Customers on Unlimited Military get 50 percent off family lines - the first line is $60 per month, the second line is an additional $20, and third, fourth and fifth lines are only $10 per month per line.

And, if you're 55 or older, Sprint offers Unlimited 55+. This is an excellent plan that offers unlimited data, talk and text plus great features for only $35 per month per line for two lines.
When the plans kick off this Friday, July 13, most Sprint stores nationwide will open one hour early and offer a suite of promotions for customers:
- Get a new iPad on us when you activate a new phone line on an Unlimited Plus or Basic plan.
- The first 10 people through the door who activate a new line (new or existing accounts) with Sprint on Basic or Plus will receive a $50 MasterCard® Prepaid card. Good only on July 13.
- Through July 31, activation fees will be waived on lines three through five when customers activate on Unlimited Plus or Basic.
The two main new plans -- Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Basic -- are evolutions of Sprint's previous Unlimited Freedom plan, now split into two so that customers "can get the best choice for them," according to the company.

Earlier in the summer, Verizon updated its plan lineup with a new unlimited plan, and over the years AT&T and T-Mobile have also introduced new unlimited plans, some of which limit the data allotted to customers each month.

Article Link: Sprint Launches New 'Unlimited Plus' and 'Unlimited Basic' Phone Plans

Glavin

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
Sounds like a sane deal:
Unlimited Plus for $22/mo per line for 5 lines, or the lesser Unlimited Basic for $32/mo per line for 5 lines.
/s

Order_66

macrumors member
May 18, 2016
Ohio
Wait... $22/mo forever? I don’t like Sprint but that price is very enticing...

Last year they had a promotion, one year of free unlimited service if you switch from Verizon, I took them up on the offer but the service was so bad that I went back to Verizon after the second month.
[doublepost=1531410206][/doublepost]
Even at $22/month, I still wouldn't leave T-Mobile. Unless Sprint service has somehow gotten miraculously better.

They have got better in some areas but only because so many customers have left the service.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Last year they had a promotion, one year of free unlimited service if you switch from Verizon, I took them up on the offer but the service was so bad that I went back to Verizon after the second month.
[doublepost=1531410206][/doublepost]

They have got better in some areas but only because so many customers have left the service.
Like old saying: you get what you pay for. Do not expect the best coverage and services Verizon offers from lower price carriers.

Reactions: Order_66

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
Sprint knows they are 'going away soon' when the T-Mo merger takes place. By adjusting the prices now... they will have less splash-back from their existing-clients since the new Unlimited Prices will already be in place.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Our plan is still under the grandfather unlimited. It would cost us more to upgrade to this limited plan.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Isn’t “unlimited” an oxymoron by now? There’s obviously limits with all these plans.
The article states (and correctly so) that Sprint offers unlimited data, not unlimited bandwidth. That means that Sprint customers may not receive LTE speeds all the time, especially if they have exceeded 22GB during the cycle and are trying to access a tower that is experiencing heavy usage at that point in time.

If people would read what is actually stated, instead of injecting personal expectations in the legalese, the common retort around here about 'this isn't unlimited' would be a lot less common.

Nueve

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I have Sprint service on my iPad Pro it's 'unlimited' costs $18 a month, service is so horribly bad, I go out of my way not to use it. Haven't gotten around to cancelling it. Will probably keep it since it looks like the T-Mobile deal might go through.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Are they trying to torpedo the merger? If the DOJ wants to make a case that having two smaller carriers encourages competition on price and features, then this is perfect proof of that argument.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
The article states (and correctly so) that Sprint offers unlimited data, not unlimited bandwidth. That means that Sprint customers may not receive LTE speeds all the time, especially if they have exceeded 22GB during the cycle and are trying to access a tower that is experiencing heavy usage at that point in time.

If people would read what is actually stated, instead of injecting personal expectations in the legalese, the common retort around here about 'this isn't unlimited' would be a lot less common.

Found the guy that works for Sprint!

Reactions: slappypig

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I had Sprint for a while and it worked fine with my iPhone because I was usually on Wifi which meant calls and iMessage were over Wifi. I switched to Android, which did not support Wifi calling or data text services, and BAM - Sprint service was unusable. I liked Android much more than I liked the cheap service from Sprint, so I moved to T-mobile. They worked a little bit better, but not good enough. Switched to AT&T and finally have reliable service.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008

Your first paragraph details a limitation of the service. It’s marketed as an “unlimited” plan. Not an “unlimited data” plan. And why are there different tiers of “unlimited”? What’s next? An unlimited infinity plan?
I still believe that service providers need to drop the unlimited marketing strategy since unlimited doesn’t really exist. Home internet isn’t marketed as “unlimited” packages. The only limit there is the speed. (For my options anyways)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Your first paragraph details a limitation of the service. It’s marketed as an “unlimited” plan. Not an “unlimited data” plan. And why are there different tiers of “unlimited”? What’s next? An unlimited infinity plan?
I still believe that service providers need to drop the unlimited marketing strategy since unlimited doesn’t really exist. Home internet isn’t marketed as “unlimited” packages. The only limit there is the speed. (For my options anyways)
The different tiers have to do with marketing. Make different different tiers to try and justify a higher price, as well as trying to reach a larger segment of customers.

It would be nice if plans were simple, straight-forward without numerous caveats. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world any more.

Sprint's plan is unlimited data for normal phone usage. Using your phone as a constant hotspot expecting endless LTE speed is not normal usage, at least at this point in time.

I believe my point still stands. Unlimited data is not the same thing as unlimited bandwidth, which many people here expect.

Reactions: mk313

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino

People really can’t comprehend this. That’s the problem.

Reactions: mk313

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Based on my past experience with that company, I wouldn't sign up for that service even if it were free. No way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.