Sprint leaving voice behind?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by sherlockholmes, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sherlockholmes macrumors newbie

With sprint's google voice integration announcement today, are we looking at the first cell carrier to ditch native voice, and become a strictly 3G/4G data provider?

I think it would be really interesting if this oes happen.

And, what if apple rolls out a VoIP component to it's revamped MobileMe. This would make a sprint based iPhone that much more interesting.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just might like to point out that GV is not a voice of IP service.
    It is a service were 1 number rings multiple others. So if someone calls my GV number it can ring my Home phone and my cell at the same time and what ever line I pick up the call is route threw that.

Handles voice mail text messages but minutes still come out of the plans.

3. sherlockholmes thread starter macrumors newbie

Under this new sprint GV deal, all voice calls made, and all text's sent through the GV app are covered under the unlimited data.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where do you see that all voice calls will be under the data plan? I read the news release (perhaps I missed it)

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Google Voice calls go over the normal cell network, not the data network. If I understand this new agreement, all that is happening is Sprint users will be able to have their Sprint number as their Google Voice number for free. You can do this now, but Google charges $20 to port it over. Other than that, nothing is different. I've used Google Voice for a couple years now. On my Captivate, like with any Android phone, when you setup the Google Voice app, it gives you the option to set itself as your voicemail, and all that. All that Sprint is doing here is saving you the $20 porting fee.