Sprint Partners With Qualcomm and SoftBank to Launch Wide-Scale 5G Network By End of 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sprint today announced plans to develop and deploy a wide-scale 2.5GHz 5G network in partnership with Qualcomm and SoftBank, with the intent to provide the service and products compatible with it to customers in "late 2019."

Sprint's 5G network is said to use the New Radio standard developed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project, a group of telecommunications organizations that oversee the development and maintenance of major communication networks.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, Sprint's press release today is notably sparse on details.
    Like previous advances in network technology, 5G will grant users faster data speeds and lower latency on smartphones and other cellular-enabled devices. Other companies -- including AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile -- have announced plans and tests for 5G networks, but the advanced technology isn't expected to become a reality until after 3GPP establishes the initial standards for 5G.

After the standards are developed (which will be a focus of 3GPP's work in the second half of 2017), and after carriers finish testing and launch support for the advanced 5G network infrastructure, it'll take some additional time for Apple to create and debut an iPhone that could connect to 5G. For these reasons, widespread commercial adoption of 5G is still estimated for 2020 or later.

Article Link: Sprint Partners With Qualcomm and SoftBank to Launch Wide-Scale 5G Network By End of 2019

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

They'll beat T-Mobile to it. As will Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile just wants the headlines.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Maybe Sprint should partner with a company that can fix their crappy service in general.
    Apparently LTE coverage doesn't exist anywhere in South Carolina, United States

5. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

6. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

No, and this article states this fact.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

8. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Let's have LTE-Advanced first and just not rename that to 5G.

9. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Lol what?

You could say the same thing with AT&T deploying LTE-A (4x4 MIMO and 256QAM) and calling it "5G Evolution."

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Who cares what the marketing term is call. Just give us a network that actually works. I've been in plenty of places on T-Mo where the LTE light is on and with multiple bars but the actual service is, best case 2G (I'm not being throttled).

11. tmiw macrumors 68000

My experience when I used to have them is that LTE was fairly decent--as long as you weren't within 150 miles or so of one of the borders. Guess where I live? Yeah.

12. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Sprint is sad they said wi-max was the future. They need to go away forever

13. Chris Meyers macrumors newbie

Chris Meyers

Seems very optimistic since 5G standards haven't even been finalized yet. Sprint has sunk into a lower and lower 4th place amongst carriers, and I dont think they will do anything in 5G that wont be done better by the big 3 and particularly by T Mobile sitting on that boatload of new spectrum

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They honestly think they'll still be in business then? Good for them! I like their spunk!

15. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Awesome! This means Sprint will finally have access to 3G speeds. :D

16. joueboy macrumors 65816

Here's my suggestion to Sprint. Build that LTE first then we're talking.

17. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

So what city will this be in, Omaha or Tulsa?

Mike

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Lawrence, KS only.

19. edflo63085 macrumors newbie

edflo63085

--- Post Merged, May 10, 2017 ---
    Sprint doesn't even have a reliable 3G 4g or lte network an their trying to get in to the 5g sprint is horrible

20. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Not to worry.

If Apple gets their wish to pay Qualcomm peanuts in return for caviar, the latter will have much less incentive to help with 5G in the US.

21. happygodavid macrumors regular

happygodavid

I switched to sprint from att when my work offered to pay for my phone. I'm considering paying my own phone bill again, simply because coverage and speed with sprint is abysmal compared to att. Perhaps Verizon? I dunno; I could give two craps about speed increases if the coverage is garbage outside of metropolitan areas. Both would be great... sprint, in my experience, provides neither.