Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
I thought these were gone for good but Apple.com is showing these on the iPhone X pre-prder.

We have 5 phones on an old unlimited data subsidized family plan - should be out of contract on all.

I plan to upgrade two phones to the X.

I wonder if it is a better deal to upgrade to the 24 monthly payments and lower new unlimited data family plan vs. staying on the same plan and paying $549 each.

I am worried the other three phones might get screwed when someone wants to upgrade them. Or it could raise the 2 x 2-year contract lines by $25 each if one of the others upgrades later and the 2 year option is not available.

Apple-of-my-eye

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
When I looked into it, the savings from the new plan was less than the savings we're getting from the 2 year contract deal. My daughter just got a 64 gb 8+ on Apples site with a 2 year contract on our Sprint account for $349! I'm looking at the X 256 gb for $699. My husband is due to upgrade as well, not sure what he's doing with his upgrade. Our son got his 7 last year on a 2 year contract... so when you figure the discounts we get from the 2 year contracts vs the savings on the new plans.... we come out ahead with the 2 year contracts - plus at the end, we get to keep the phones! I don't like the idea of leasing, and not owning the phone.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
When I looked into it, the savings from the new plan was less than the savings we're getting from the 2 year contract deal. My daughter just got a 64 gb 8+ on Apples site with a 2 year contract on our Sprint account for $349! I'm looking at the X 256 gb for $699. My husband is due to upgrade as well, not sure what he's doing with his upgrade. Our son got his 7 last year on a 2 year contract... so when you figure the discounts we get from the 2 year contracts vs the savings on the new plans.... we come out ahead with the 2 year contracts - plus at the end, we get to keep the phones! I don't like the idea of leasing, and not owning the phone.
Isn't that the point? Signing a contract should give you more value than not signing a contract.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I thought these were gone for good but Apple.com is showing these on the iPhone X pre-prder.

We have 5 phones on an old unlimited data subsidized family plan - should be out of contract on all.

I plan to upgrade two phones to the X.

I wonder if it is a better deal to upgrade to the 24 monthly payments and lower new unlimited data family plan vs. staying on the same plan and paying $549 each.

I am worried the other three phones might get screwed when someone wants to upgrade them. Or it could raise the 2 x 2-year contract lines by $25 each if one of the others upgrades later and the 2 year option is not available.
That's the only place you can get two year contracts on Sprint now.
[doublepost=1509048840][/doublepost]
You realize that the subsidy of the phone is built into the price of the older plans right? Everything before Framily.

Which is now why, when you are NOT on a contract that line gets the $15 loyalty credit - to offset the subsidy that is built into the plan.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
So this 2 year sprint contract deal is legit (only through Apple website)? I was planning on going through this route as well.

Apple-of-my-eye

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Isn't that the point? Signing a contract should give you more value than not signing a contract.

Sprint pushes the idea that their new plans (that you must lease the phone), is a better deal.. the plan is cheaper, but then you lease the phone. Doing the math, I'd rather stay on the older (more expensive) plan, and get the 2 year contract on Apple's site.
[doublepost=1509048956][/doublepost]
So this 2 year sprint contract deal is legit (only through Apple website)? I was planning on going through this route as well.

Worked for my daughter when she got her 64gb 8+ a few weeks ago!!! She got hers for $349!

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Sprint pushes the idea that their new plans (that you must lease the phone), is a better deal.. the plan is cheaper, but then you lease the phone. Doing the math, I'd rather stay on the older (more expensive) plan, and get the 2 year contract on Apple's site.
[doublepost=1509048956][/doublepost]

Worked for my daughter when she got her 64gb 8+ a few weeks ago!!! She got hers for $349!

Awesome thank you for the response. I'm on Sprint but I'm out of contract for a year now waiting for this phone to come out to finally upgrade. I could care less about hopping on those plans where you can upgrade every year.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And you probably lost or don't have the loyalty credit of $15 a month that Sprint gives when not in contract.

24 months of an additonal $15 hidden in the price of the plan - so an additional $360 for a total of around $800 for her iPhone.

Not $349.

Apple-of-my-eye

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
That's the only place you can get two year contracts on Sprint now.
[doublepost=1509048840][/doublepost]
You realize that the subsidy of the phone is built into the price of the older plans right? Everything before Framily.

Which is now why, when you are NOT on a contract that line gets the $15 loyalty credit - to offset the subsidy that is built into the plan.

I do, I did an online chat with Sprint customer service to see what the plan rate would be to switch to the new plan... and based on the quote they gave me, for what we'd save, we are actually saving more with 2 year contracts.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I do, I did an online chat with Sprint customer service to see what the plan rate would be to switch to the new plan... and based on the quote they gave me, for what we'd save, we are actually saving more with 2 year contracts.
Perhaps, but not much more.

It's not my intent to denigrate the two year plan or your choice. I'm just trying to point out that it's not as cheap over the long run as you may think.

Apple-of-my-eye

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Awesome thank you for the response. I'm on Sprint but I'm out of contract for a year now waiting for this phone to come out to finally upgrade. I could care less about hopping on those plans where you can upgrade every year.

Yep, me too.. I'm good with keeping a phone for 2 years... and OWNING the phone!!!
[doublepost=1509049391][/doublepost]
Perhaps, but not much more.

It's not my intent to denigrate the two year plan or your choice. I'm just trying to point out that it's not as cheap over the long run as you may think.

I think the biggest difference to me, is that with the 2 year contracts, at the end, we own the phone. With the lease, price wise, it does not seem to be a better deal, and you have to turn in the phone (granted you can upgrade every year that way)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yep, me too.. I'm good with keeping a phone for 2 years... and OWNING the phone!!!
You can keep a leased phone too. And all your lease payments apply to the purchase of the phone.

Just saying. Whatever works for you though.
[doublepost=1509049483][/doublepost]
I think the biggest difference to me, is that with the 2 year contracts, at the end, we own the phone. With the lease, price wise, it does not seem to be a better deal, and you have to turn in the phone (granted you can upgrade every year that way)
Whoever told you that you have to turn the phone in is wrong.

You pay a purchase option price at the end of the lease if you want to keep the phone. You can also spread that fee out and pay it monthly as well.

You keep the phone.

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Sprint also offers the straight 24 month purchase through Apple rather than lease if you go with an unsubsidized plan. $42/mo. and you own it.
[doublepost=1509052187][/doublepost]I think I calculated the subsidized benefit being $18 and change over the 24 months. The subsidized plans work great with many phones under contract, but lose those benefits for every phone not being paid under the contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.