Carrier sprint upgrade is confusing ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RIPstevejobs, Sep 13, 2016.

1. RIPstevejobs macrumors regular

for the past year or so had no option to upgrade like i used to... just to pay over time.

when i went on apple.com to check prices it seemed like they were back on there.... ordered a SE for free. now my brother is telling me there may be a $40/month charge to be able to upgrade every 2 years. seems crazy to me. its a family plan and i cant check the sprint account at the moment because i dont the info... any truth to this ? wouldnt it have said so when buying the phone or is sprint pulling a fast one on me ?

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Hehehe, not just Sprint, all carriers do. It is one step closer to buying a new car. So much agreements, terms, penalties, credit checks, etc. We just can't do it like Asia and Europe. Just buy the phone and get a sim card from 7-11. Recharge minutes online.

3. RIPstevejobs thread starter macrumors regular

so they charge $40/month to get the upgrade price ?

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I think the $40 a month fee is the Access charge. Which is not charged if you get a lease or Easy Pay.

Sprint has done away with contracts (for the third time) for all new customers and you cannot get them online if you are an existing customer. You have to go to a store and only certain legacy plan qualify for subsidized contracts any more.

The days of Sprint subsidizing your phone purchase are almost over. It's the last carrier still holding out but only for existing customers.

5. RIPstevejobs thread starter macrumors regular

on apple.com it gave me the option to upgrade with a 2 year contract (like it used to). SE was free and 7 was starting at $200 (like it used to be for new phones).

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sorry, I should be more clear. You can't get the subsidized contract price online at Sprint's website.

7. RIPstevejobs thread starter macrumors regular

but can t apples site ? so its just way cheaper there than buying from sprint ?

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Do you mean, can you use Apple's site? Yes, if it's offering you a subsidized contract and that's what you want.

But understand that it's not cheaper. You may pay less up front, that is true, but you are being charged a $40 access fee each month in addition to the fact that subsidized payments were built in to the price of legacy plans.

In the end you pay more even if you don't pay anything up front.