Sprint upgrade options? 6 Months left on contract not allowed $199 upgrade... :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Up until like a month ago I was able to upgrade my current handset and get 75 bucks off as opposed to 150 off of a new phone (plus rebates)

Even though I heard of changes to their upgrade system I didn't look into it until today when I called to see what the price for me to upgrade to the iPhone 4S would cost.

The telesales person told me that I can't upgrade until April 1st... now I understand that what they say has to go... but in the last 14 years I've owned mobile phones I've never had to own the same phone for 2 years even though that is the contract term... there was always a way one of the sales people was able to let me upgrade to the newest phone a year or so later.

I've not had to deal with this on Sprint before... does anyone know if there is a work around at the stores that'll let me upgrade to the iPhone 4S before April of 2012?
    It kind of sucks that I once had a slight subsidized discount and now I got screwed out of it...

Also... anyone know if the iPhone is still subjected to the 10 dollar 4G data add on? It's not 4G so it shouldn't need to be charged the extra fee right?

2. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

3. feeth macrumors 6502

call at least a few more times. You might have to give them a few more days before they can tell you about the $10 charge.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It's not a 4G fee. It's a "premium data fee" that all new smartphone activations are being charged. There's no reason the iPhone won't be charged the extra $10.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sprint would be committing financial suicide if they didn't give the option to all their current customers to immediately upgrade to the iPhone without any ETF fee. What else are they going to do with their millions of iPhone's. Plus, many of their upgraders will be switching to a more expensive plan. I guess Sprint doesn't like money and retaining their customer base.

6. livspop macrumors regular

Wait until the phone is actually available, then call again. If they still say no, then tell them you want to terminate your service. You have to be committed to that, though, and take it all the way to the customer retention person. I would bet most of the farm that with $20 billion worth of those things to unload they will allow you to do it...

7. NupeSkyywalker macrumors newbie

Sprint is a joke. I was a customer for 10 years and left to get the i4 on att. Funny thing is i really wanted the EVO but they wouldn't let me upgrade. I was out of contract because the store where I received my last upgrade didn't renew my contract. I even offered to sign a 2 year agreement but they said no dice. I happily left without paying them a dime. I'll never go back.

Even with the cheaper plans their service sucks. Expect delayed texts and missed call notifications even though the phone didn't ring.

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I think it actually says 4G fee or something of that sorts on my bill... need to look again... but I recall that, that was why I asked the question.

----------

Yeah I may take this to retentions... my EVO isn't my SERO phone so I could really care less if I lose my 10 dollar off plan.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Talked to them yesterday, yes you'll pay the $10 fee and on your bill it's a premium data fee.

10. llfloyd79 macrumors regular

llfloyd79

Yeah that $10 fee is pretty much for any smart phone on a data plan. I had 3 smartphones up my family plan....$30 extra on my bill.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

Sprint ended their Preimere program recently (that means no 12 month upgrades for long time customers (regardless of monthly bills) or higher paying customers (primary line only).

Unlike other phones where Sprint can get huge discounts (read Android phones that may MSRP for around $500, but we all know Sprint can get bulk discounts for say $350-400 from the manufactures. That's why reps can always throw customers a bone and sometimes offer consumers free or buy one get one free.

However with Apple, carriers get zero or very little discount. Carriers cannot afford to eat the entire $600 cost they must pay for the iPhone that Apple charges. They are already subsidizing the consumer $400.

12. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Which is fine... I'll happily cancel my current contract for $70 so that I can pick up the iPhone 4S for $199.