All iPads Sprint/Verizon GSM question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quamsi, Dec 19, 2013.

1. quamsi macrumors regular

Can you please clear up a little dispute between my husband and I?

He is saying I can't use my free t-mobile sim in a Verizon or Sprint Ipad. He says they are not GSM. From what I've read here that's not the case, but he doesn't think so.

So to make matters worse, we went to BB and the BB salesperson swore up and down that Ipads are locked and you can only use a Sprint ipad with a Sprint plan and a Verizon ipad with Verizon and an ATT plan with Att and so on. I tried telling him they were unlocked and he laughed said he'd worked there long enough and they are indeed locked.

I am planning to get my ipad online in the next couple days and the only two this particular store has in stock is Sprint or ATT.

So I will ask you guys just once (and ignore my husband and this idiot BB guy), if I get a Sprint device, I will be able to use my free Tmobile sim in it, correct?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Hubby's wrong.
    Best Buy guy is wrong.

I'm using my Verizon ipad3 and my Verizon retina Mini on T-Mobile and AT&T. Activated the 200MB T-Mobile, but switched to AT&T $25/1GB/90day plan as that's a better fit to my needs.

Retina Mini gets LTE, ipad3 doesn't (but that's expected as the older units didn't have all the bands)

3. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That's what I knew, I just wanted to triple check! :)

----------

Also, from those two options (Sprint and ATT) I am thinking I should go with a Sprint device as then I'll be able to use it on Tmobile, ATT and Sprint. if I choose the ATT device I will only be able to use it with Tmobile and ATT. Is this correct?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Glad to help. Bit of unsolicited advice: just order the ipad, put the SIM in it, and if hubby asks then show him. Nothing to be gained by arguing over it when it's easily resolved by just doing it. :D

Personally, given the choice of Verizon or Sprint, I'd opt for Verizon. Mostly because Verizon coverage beats Sprint here and also I like the 1GB/$20/30day plan when I'm doing a lot of work related travel.

But if your choice is AT&T vs Sprint, definitely go with Sprint. Having the choice of three carriers beats just two. Technically an AT&T ipad will work on Sprint or Verizon, but the trick is those two carriers are stubborn about allowing you to do so based on reports I've read.

5. takeshi74, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Both should try reading the tech specs on the Apple site. The Verizon iPads supported GSM bands since the 3rd gen and Sprint came on board with the 4th gen according to the specs of the various generations.

Standing around in a Best Buy store over X period of time doesn't automatically make one knowledgeable. I worked at one and didn't just gain information simply by being there. Some people learn while they're there. Some do not.

Sprint and Verizon will only activate their own devices on their respective networks.

6. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, unless their Verizon devices get into stock before payday, my choices will be ATT or Sprint. I am definitely not telling my husband until I get it to work. Then I'll be like: "HA! What do you think of that?!!" ;)

Thanks again for the helpful information! :)

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seems to have the opposite effect, actually... :cool:

8. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I have a iPad Air configured to work with Sprint... I got it through Craigslist on a sweet deal.

But I'm actually with AT&T and I took it to them.. and they had gotten it activated to work with AT&T. I was kinda nervous cause I read on some sites that Sprint had to unlock it in order to have it used on different networks. But then on Apple forums... I've read that CDMA LTE's network such as Sprint and Verizon cannot be used to switch simultaneous.

If you get a GSM model... it can be used on Verizon, but not on Sprint... if I'm mistaken. Sprint is really finicky with their network. It's as if you want to use Sprint network in the future... it's best to get a Sprint iPad.

9. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the ipads are identical spec-wise and all unlocked. Att and Tmobile welcome bring-your-own-devices but Verizon and Sprint are stubborn and only want you to use devices labeled by them. Any device will work with any network, but Sprint and Verizon refuse to accomidate devices "intended" for other carriers. So if you purchase a Verizon Ipad you will be able to use it with Att, Tmobile and Verizon and if you purchase a Sprint Ipad you will be able to use it with Att, Tmobile and Sprint.

From what I understand. And maybe that's exactly what you're saying. :)

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

Yes you are correct, and BBY employee and husband are misinformed.

11. wmkim macrumors member

I'm currently using an AT&T iPad Mini Retina w/ the free T-Mobile nano-SIM I ordered... and as you've noticed, there's a 99.99% probability any answer you get from a Best Buy employee is usually incorrect.

All the new iPad Airs & Minis are the same internally...they just ship with different carriers' SIM cards.

12. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, yes they were. Wanted to punch them both when they were having their male bonding session:

BBGuy: Sorry lady, all our Ipad units are locked to their respective carriers.
    Hubby: Finally! Thanks, I tried to tell her, but she didn't believe me.
    BBGuy: I understand how it is, there's a lot of misconstrued information out there.
    Hubby: You need to stay off the forums.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Respectfully, you're mistaken. The hardware is the same. No difference.
    The only challenge is administrative/bureaucratic in terms of Sprint/Verizon whitelisting the device IMEI, there's nothing technical that would prevent it.

This is 100% correct for the iPad Air and iPad retina Mini.

14. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I didn't mean.. in general. But as far as them allowing you to use their network. But thanks for clearing it up.