Sprint vs AT&T Service and plan value

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthew12, Sep 12, 2011.

1. matthew12 macrumors member

matthew12

In case the upcoming iPhone 5 is on Sprint, I would like existing sprint users to tell me how much service there is in the san francisco bay area. I am currently on an AT&T family plan with unlimited messaging. I have an iPhone 3GS with no data plan because I got it used (and for free, thank god for parents' friends). I will get a 4GB data plan. How's the service in the bay area for sprint and is the pricing any good compared to what my parents are paying? I would like the $69.99 plan on sprint if they get the iPhone 5 (or 4s). Can someone help me with my questions?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. matthew12 thread starter macrumors member

matthew12

OK, I don't want a default map, I want coverage reports from actual customers. Checked that map earlier today, anyway.

4. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

It's $79.99 btw the $10 data feature. And Sprint's 3G isn't as fast as AT&T's 3G. That's all I can add since I do not live in CA.

5. matthew12 thread starter macrumors member

matthew12

T

Ok, thanks for the info. Don't care that it's slower though because the iPhone 5 will have a good wireless chip for faster speeds and I just want unlimited data.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A good wireless chip for faster speeds?
    You're talking about wifi cause no matter what chip it has if its on Sprints or Verizons CDMA network then it will be slower than AT&T no matter what chip it will have?

7. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

The $10 data feature is only for 4G phones... if the iPhone 5 is not 4G then the plan should be only $69.99

8. neile45 macrumors regular

The $10 fee was originally for 4g phones, but now it's on all smartphones

9. matthew12 thread starter macrumors member

matthew12

My View

I meant it'll be able to take advantage of any new 3G network upgrade (up to a point).

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt make any sense either.
    What new 3G network upgrade?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you talking about HSPDA+ speeds, like what AT&T and T-Mobile are using to increase their 3G network speeds while they deploy 4G (LTE) networks?

If so, neither Verizon or Sprint use HSPDA or HSPDA+ technology on their networks, so even if that capability is included in the next iPhone, it won't increase the speed if you're a Sprint or Verizon customer.

12. matthew12 thread starter macrumors member

matthew12

Never mind. How fast are the speeds in the bay area?

13. Chasesmith macrumors newbie

AT&T vs Sprint

AT&T's service sucks but offers better phones. AT&T's service in the bay area is notorious for dropping calls and only having one to two bars. Using 3G there is also painfully slow. However in other larger cities AT&T has great service. Where AT&T has poor service is in smaller cities and rural areas. If you travel a lot then AT&T definitely is not the way to go.

Sprint has amazing service on the east coast but they're pretty bad in the midwest. I know a lot of people in Chicago and surrounding areas use Sprint but their service sucks there. All in all though Sprint has better service than AT&T but I don't know that many people that use it - disclosure: I live on the east coast - mostly because their friends aren't using it. People are big on getting free calls to people who have the same carrier.

I'm also a huge fan of the iPhone and that's actually why I switched over from Verizon many years ago.

Here's another great comparison on Sprint vs AT&T.

Hope this helps!