Sprint vs T-Mobile for iPhone 5

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would rather have tmobile gsm with LTE coming in the next few monthes then sprint LTE
I agree. Sprint data is only usable in those few areas where they have LTE while Tmobile HSPA+ matches their LTE data speeds and is much more widespread at the moment.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
As the others said tmo is better. if you don't live in a refarmed area you should consider to start with a new tom iP 5... othewise you will experience slow edge speed....

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Something else to consider is that you can move your existing iPhone 5 to tmobile and experience some minor network issues (you might not get LTE). You can't use your iPhone on Sprint at all. If I were you, I'd move your i5 to tmobile and then trade it for a 5S when it comes out.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I've had T-Mobile as my carrier going on nine years and for the most part, I've been very satisfied with their service.

I have the iPhone that has T-Mobile's AWS 1700/2100 frequencies and I have very good data speeds and very little network connection/lost signal problems.

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
I would go with T mobile, they are going to have better plans (unlimited) where you will actually get decent data speeds. Everyone I know with a sprint iPhone complains about data speeds.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
As everyone else said above, Sprint is pure trash. More promises and promises of network upgrades and never any action. How did they start rolling out LTE last year and T-Mobile is already on pace to catch up with an surpass them in LTE coverage this year? Or how AT&T/Verizon have more LTE than Sprint has 3G? Or worst of all, Sprint 3G speeds actually GOT SLOWER this year compared to last year. Totally inexcusable. Average speeds for Sprint "3G" are comparable to AT&T or T-Mobile EDGE data speeds.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2039307/t-mobile-wins-3g-shootout-sprint-and-verizon-speeds-fade.html

Honestly anyone getting an iPhone 5 on Sprint is wasting their money. Why buy a premium device and cripple it with a network made for dumbphones? Unless you happen to live right near one of their small areas of LTE or spend most of your time at home on Wifi, they are almost useless.

I don't have much high praise for T-Mobile either because of their lack of high speed data outside of cities but at least they have pretty solid data speeds in most major cities. Sprint is just garbage all around. I don't even know how they're 3rd.

TC in your case, T-Mobile.

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
TMobiles 4G beats Sprints LTE any day. As everyone else has suggested, forget about Sprint. The same people who are waiting for LTE with Sprint are the same ones who waited for better 3G coverage.