Sprint won't sell me an iphone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SantaRosa2.2, Oct 9, 2014.

1. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I'm a longtime sprint customer, went into local sprint store today with intentions to buy an iPhone 6.

I had called earlier and they said they had all models and configurations available in stock.

I walk in and ask to buy a 6 if they were in stock, they said yes, all models and colors are available. I told them I would pay at full price since I am not up for my 2 year contract renewal.

I am told they cannot sell me a phone at full price and that iPhone 6 and 6 plus are only available for New customers signing up for a new 2 year contract and that I would have to order online and wait for a phone.

Is this normal?? Like I said I am long time Sprint customer and have an account in good standing, just wanted a new phone and was willing to pay full price and extend my contract if necessary.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Think I'd at least threaten to go to another carrier, some are offering to cover etf's make sure they realize that point.

3. 617aircav Suspended

You would be a fool not to port out of sprint because of this. Get your etf paid and jet.

4. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

Was this a corporate store?

5. SantaRosa2.2 thread starter macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Yes, it is the Sprint only store.

6. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

If I were you I would call retention department and file a complaint. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered credit to your account.

7. *KID* macrumors regular

Never heard of such a thing! If that happened to me I would've calmly gone up the chain till I was satisfied. That is total BS.

8. SantaRosa2.2 thread starter macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I guess I'll be making a phone call in the morning:mad:

9. cane811 macrumors member

I worked for Sprint. A lot of third party retailers do that so they can actually make money on the handsets by selling them on contract. It's not unheard of, but they have the right to refuse business.

10. SantaRosa2.2 thread starter macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

It was the manager that I was dealing with...

11. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

Unless this a new thing at Sprint this year, I've never had a problem paying full price for an IPhone they Sprint. I'm shocked.. I would call customer retention and see what they can do. If they won't let you buy the phone you want for full price, why should you have to pay a ETF? I would make a call. Where in are contracts does it limit us to buying online only? Did you try another store? I would be very unhappy as well. Unbelievable..

12. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

You don't say exactly what model you wanted. It sounds like you want a 6, not a 6+. For what it is worth, from online, you'll have that in like a day or two, they are not in short supply. I'd be surprised if the Sprint store had 6+'s "in all makes and models" just sitting there. Those you might have to wait a while for. If you want the 6, just buy it online and be done with it, IMO. You'll have it in no time (unless Sprint just hasn't been getting the 6's that everyone else has).

13. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

So you offered Sprint business and they were like:

[​IMG]

That's just cold man...

14. SantaRosa2.2 thread starter macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Only one Sprint Store in town, Best Buy and Target are the only other options for Sprint and iPhones in my area.

15. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

16. koban4max macrumors 68000

this is a good news...they want you to leave sprint.

17. SantaRosa2.2 thread starter macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Apple Store is 4 hrs away

18. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

When I was a Sprint customer I had this only add lines selling happen several times -htc evo, Sanyo 5300, Sanyo 5500 and the iPhone 4s

Had a manager lie to me they had no 4s in stock but I called first and had one reserved saying I was adding a line

I haven't experienced this practice with Verizon

19. SantaRosa2.2 thread starter macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Yes, I wanted a 6, they had both 6 and 6 plus available in all colors. 16gb and 64gb. Before I mentioned I was a customer already. They rattled off the configurations they had available. Yes, I will probably buy online. But it is still the principle of the thing. I wasted my time going to the store where they were in stock, and it was supposed to be a convenient retail experience. Walking out with your new phone activated and working.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Hey my friend just got a 6 and is on sprint. He told me he and his parents went to go buy 3 iPhone 6's. He told me they said they didn't have any so they were going to cancel and go to Verizon and they pulled out 3 space grey iPhone 6's. Wtf is sprint doing

21. themyst macrumors 6502

The rep is lying. (I worked many years for Corporate). Nothing pissed me off more than hearing about this. Threaten to call Executive Services while in the store, drop Bob Johnson's name. They'll sell you one if its a Corporate store.

If it is a third-party reseller (Sprint Authorized Retailer - XYZ Wireless) they can do whatever they want.

"Sprint only" stores can be third-party resellers. Be 100% sure you were dealing with Corporate.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can see this with a third party store. I know a guy who runs a series of Sprint licensed stores in Atlanta. Used to live in the back room of one of his old stores because Sprint treats third party stores owners like they treat their customers.

Third party stores cannot get first run phones. They cannot accept cash payments and third party stores eat the cost of every return and get some real lukewarm discounts on new phone models. So, while turning down business for Sprint is kind of a shocker, I can totally see that from a third party store if their income focus is somewhere other than this.

OP says it was a corporate store though so who knows.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Take it as sign: you need to swith carriers. See if T-Mobile covers your area well, and if they do, switch. They'll even pay your ETF.

24. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

25. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

So Sprint doesn't want money?

You'd think they'd take whatever money they could get to pay for network upgrades.