Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Please no. Give T-mobile time to make gains from their new business model, and they'll make a bigger difference in the long run.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Nah, it's cool, I didn't want competition anyways. Bring on the monopoly!

However I find it hilarious that everyone here who wants Samsung killed and for Apple to be the only phone/tablet/pc/tv/watch manufacturer now suddenly don't like monopolies. Ignorance is bliss.

It is funny the same people are not criticising companies like Nokia, HTC, or Microsoft. Perhaps, they just want Samsung to compete by not using Apple for its R & D.

Out of the four carriers, T-Mobile is the only one innovating in terms of the plans its offers. As a long time T-Mobile customer, I would be really unhappy with such a merger. It would also be costly for T-Mobile because lots of people on its no contract plans would jump ship. I would go to Straight Talk or AIO. No way I am going to Sprint, AT&T or Verizon.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! Why is this even being considered!!!???? Sprint is so desperate because T-Mobile is actually shaking up the industry and they know it. Sprint isn't even in the game in 2013. It's T-Mobile Vs Verizon/AT&T. I love how they target AT&T (probably because Verizon isn't worth it with their inferior CDMA network). Sprint is NOBODY!!! If you are on Sprint, I just feel sorry for you.

T-Mobile SHOULD BUY SPRINT and do their customers a huge favor!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Sprint sucks!

For years I defended sprint and even jumped to their network as soon as they got the iphone, but man, every company they purchased sucked! Nextel, Clear (they are killing this one off), and t mo? God! This sucks

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Terrible idea.

Now if Deutsche Telekom AG is truly planning to exit the US market and sell their stake in T-Mobile, here's a better idea…. Apple should buy that 67 off of them. Apple having control of a cellular company along with their own device will bring some serious competition against AT&T and Verizon and force them to rethink their business models.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
American corporations are totally out of control with these mergers. All they want is less competition so they can raise prices even more.
LOL.

Softbank Corporation (Japan) owns 80% of Sprint.

Deutsche Telekom (Germany) owns 67% of T-Mobile USA.

Yes, yes, these "American" corporations are totally out of control, especially with your mastery of geography.

Do you think TracFone is an American telecom as well? NET10? Straight Talk? Simple Mobile? MetroPCS? Virgin Mobile? Boost Mobile?

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
They could use Sprint's help instead of being the perpetual 4th place that they always are.

Just FYI.

T-Mobile gain 2.1 million customers in the 6 months of April to September 2013 (2Q and 3Q of 2013).

T-Mobile must be doing something right.

If Sprint is allowed to buy T-Mobile and instead of competing, what if Sprint just want to be like AT&T and Verizon?

AT&T and Verizon would love for Sprint to buy out T-Mobile, the only carrier that is actively competing. Getting rid of a pesky competitor would benefit AT&T and Verizon. Consumers would lose.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Doubt it

If and only IF this happens Sprint would be going for the customer base, and maybe but maybe not turn off there spectrum. I do not know enough about the technology besides GSMM, CDMA, LTE and I think there's another LTE but in the end I sure as heck do not see this happening and if it's allowed to happen it's not going to be good.

But with AT&T crying about loosing money on offering the new phone every year who knows what's going to happen with these greedy companies

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
SCARY!!!

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...bile-and-leave-us-with-just-3-major-carriers/

"A market with only three major carriers would be much more prone to 'coordinated effects' where 'competing' companies act as an effective cartel, even if they don't meet secretly to split up the market," he wrote. "All they need to do is match each others' pricing moves and pay attention to press statements and you have the same result as an illegal cartel without any lawbreaking. This is just as bad for consumers. ... In a market with just three carriers, it's less likely that one of them would make the same kinds of disruptive moves T-Mobile has made recently with its 'Uncarrier' program. ... [P]olicymakers should be clear that we need a minimum of four national carriers.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
what a hilariously terrible idea. Two completely opposite networks trying to integrate, haha what a joke. Sprint just wants Tmobile's far superior LTE network.

Sprint Nextel anyone? 2 totally incompatible networks that never really came together....

And I don't think T-Mobile would accept a buyout. They're growing customers for the first time in forever, and doing quite well on their own. Their new CEO has totally turned the company around.

If they would jsut invest in their network further.... their network is their only undoing. Kind of like Sprints!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Terrible idea.

Now if Deutsche Telekom AG is truly planning to exit the US market and sell their stake in T-Mobile, here's a better idea…. Apple should buy that 67 off of them. Apple having control of a cellular company along with their own device will bring some serious competition against AT&T and Verizon and force them to rethink their business models.

Apple doesn't need and probably doesn't want to get into the cellular industry. The margins are much lower and the costs of investment are extremely high. They're fine as they are right now letting the cellular companies sell their devices for them.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Apple wouldn't even consider such a poor business decision. Why would they want to buy crap Tmobile so they can pour lots of money redesigning the whole network? That will never happen. Apple makes more money selling iPhones and iPads.

-Mike

Terrible idea.

----------

Agreed!

-Mike
Apple doesn't need and probably doesn't want to get into the cellular industry. The margins are much lower and the costs of investment are extremely high. They're fine as they are right now letting the cellular companies sell their devices for them.

----------

I think the deal will be first up to the regulators, if that passes then the shareholders will have the last say. Customer have no say on this!

-Mike

Sprint Nextel anyone? 2 totally incompatible networks that never really came together....

And I don't think T-Mobile would accept a buyout. They're growing customers for the first time in forever, and doing quite well on their own. Their new CEO has totally turned the company around.

If they would jsut invest in their network further.... their network is their only undoing. Kind of like Sprints!

----------

Well on the bright side eventually we will have 3 carriers with good nationwide coverage instead of only two.

-Mike

SCARY!!!

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...bile-and-leave-us-with-just-3-major-carriers/

"A market with only three major carriers would be much more prone to 'coordinated effects' where 'competing' companies act as an effective cartel, even if they don't meet secretly to split up the market," he wrote. "All they need to do is match each others' pricing moves and pay attention to press statements and you have the same result as an illegal cartel without any lawbreaking. This is just as bad for consumers. ... In a market with just three carriers, it's less likely that one of them would make the same kinds of disruptive moves T-Mobile has made recently with its 'Uncarrier' program. ... [P]olicymakers should be clear that we need a minimum of four national carriers.

----------

Sure, they are allowing broke ass people get the new iPhone by making small monthly payments. That's about it.

-Mike
Just FYI.

T-Mobile gain 2.1 million customers in the 6 months of April to September 2013 (2Q and 3Q of 2013).

T-Mobile must be doing something right.

If Sprint is allowed to buy T-Mobile and instead of competing, what if Sprint just want to be like AT&T and Verizon?

AT&T and Verizon would love for Sprint to buy out T-Mobile, the only carrier that is actively competing. Getting rid of a pesky competitor would benefit AT&T and Verizon. Consumers would lose.

----------

Yeah and China pretty much owns the whole US!

-Mike

LOL.

Softbank Corporation (Japan) owns 80% of Sprint.

Deutsche Telekom (Germany) owns 67% of T-Mobile USA.

Yes, yes, these "American" corporations are totally out of control, especially with your mastery of geography.

Do you think TracFone is an American telecom as well? NET10? Straight Talk? Simple Mobile? MetroPCS? Virgin Mobile? Boost Mobile?

----------

Yeah, otherwise it will be another CMDA crap Verizon network.

-Mike

As long as they stay GSM I'm good

----------

That would work too but unfortunately they pretty much ran out of money, they are broke.

-Mike

Please no. Give T-mobile time to make gains from their new business model, and they'll make a bigger difference in the long run.

----------

Last time I used Sprint I don't think smart phones existed, it was the flip phone days. I think the service/company was pretty good back then. Haven't tried them in over 10 years.

-Mike
For years I defended sprint and even jumped to their network as soon as they got the iphone, but man, every company they purchased sucked! Nextel, Clear (they are killing this one off), and t mo? God! This sucks

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Sprint Working on Potential T-Mobile US Purchase

As with all giant mergers, this would lead to job losses and an increase in pricing along with less consumer choice.

HELL NO!!!!

After the ATT failed merger with T-Mobile, look what happened? T-Mobile gained the iPhone, expanded markets, reduced pricing and is offering incredible deals for customers right now. They are doing great! So much better than being stuck with an even bigger ATT.

So glad I'm on T-Mobile now. Reduced my bill almost by half.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Well Tmobile did all these wonderful things mainly to stay in business. Had they not made these changes they would probably have filled for Bankruptcy by now.

I get much better service and pay less with AT&T using their prepaid plan!

-Mike

As with all giant mergers, this would lead to job losses and an increase in pricing along with less consumer choice.

HELL NO!!!!

After the ATT failed merger with T-Mobile, look what happened? T-Mobile gained the iPhone, expanded markets, reduced pricing and is offering incredible deals for customers right now. They are doing great! So much better than being stuck with an even bigger ATT.

So glad I'm on T-Mobile now. Reduced my bill almost by half.

----------

It will never happen. Would make no sense.

-Mike
Apple certainly has the cash to do it. I doubt they have the will.

----------

Probably will unless they decide to go the GSM route instead of the other way around.

-Mike
I wonder if Sprint could run T-Mobile into the ground as fast as they did Nextel?

----------

Probably will unless they decide to go the GSM route instead of the other way around.

-Mike
I wonder if Sprint could run T-Mobile into the ground as fast as they did Nextel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.