Sprinting away from Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottbushey, Jun 25, 2008.

1. scottbushey macrumors member

I am one leaving Palm and Sprint after many years. My question is:

Should I leave Sprint and pay my ETF right before the launch of 3G or should I keep my contract until after lauch date? I am trying to figure out if ATT can import my cell ph #'s if I am still under contract w/ Sprint; what would be the appropriate maneuver?

Thanks in advance.

SPB

2. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

You need to keep your contract in place in order to port your phone number over to ATT..When it is ported you effectively canceled your contract..You might want to look at Sprints new Instinct to save you a ETF and monthly billings...You have choices !!

3. mcees4life macrumors newbie

I bought the Instinct but plan on returning it within the 30 day window and pick up the 3G iphone. It's a nice phone, but I think the 3G Iphone will suit me a little better.

Remember, if you are currently with Sprint, you can upgrade to any phone and be able to return it within 30 days for a full refund and termination of contract with no fee. That's what I was told when I purchased the Instinct and that's what I plan to do.

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You may lose your phone number if you terminal the contract before initiating the # port.

5. mcees4life macrumors newbie

You are correct, that's why I'm going to purchase the 3G Iphone first and activate it before I return the Instinct. Hopefully that 8AM launch time is accurate because I will have more than enough time to return the Instinct to Sprint that same day.

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Porting a number can often be done pretty quickly, but it can sometimes take days for the port to go through. My wife's took about 2 days to clear when we switched hers over.

I would be pretty nervous about cutting it so close that you're hoping for an early open. That's pretty risky.

7. mcees4life macrumors newbie

I bought the Instinct on the 21st so I have at least until July 21 to take the phone back. I'll wait to make sure the number is ported before I return the phone. I know it won't take 10 days for the number to port.

8. scottbushey thread starter macrumors member

Hold on; this makes no sense; Maybe I am misunderstanding you??? Are you saying that if I have 22 months remaining on my contract and buy a new phone, that if I decide to return the phone within 30 days I can leave Sprint completely without any ETF's? Hard to believe. If this was the case, everybody would be doing this to get out of the ETF's......

9. mcees4life macrumors newbie

to get the Instinct, you were required to sign a new 2 year contract on their "Simply Everything Plan" which is $99 per month for unlimited everything. The sales rep and the manager of the store I went to said that I can return the phone if I choose to within 30 days and I will get a full refund. They also said that by me returning the phone for a refund, they will then waive the ETF if I request that they deactivate my service.

I just checked my receipt, and that is exactly what it says.

10. nojokews6 macrumors regular

this is the first i have ever heard of this. when i got a new sprint phone they renewed my contract and gave me 30 days to return it but the contract would still stand. maybe this is different because i have to change my plan to buy the phone. this would be an easy way for me to leave sprint eft free. if you return it does it go back to your initial contract?

11. aforty macrumors 65816

I have a contract with Sprint and I don't plan on paying an ETF.

It's ********, I've been with them for almost 8 friggin years and now they want $200 from me with only 4 months left? Not happening.

I plan on calling Sprint within the next couple of days and telling them I am moving to Europe where I will require a GSM phone. When they ask me for proof I will fax them a bill from there with my name photoshopped into it, the quality of the fax should hide any apparent shop job I might have done. I've heard people moving to a area not covered by Sprint can terminate their contract without an ETF, so what better place than Europe? Then I plan on telling them that I have many important business contacts to this phone and I'd like my imaginary brother to take over the number and will ask them if that will be possible. If it is, I'll get the iPhone and transfer my number over. If all this **** blows up in my face I plan on crying and stomping my feet until they at least lower the ETF.

Yep, I might be going to extreme lengths with this but I am not paying them $200 after I've been bending over backwards for the last 7 years while they keep raising prices and fees.

**** you Sprint, hello AT&T (who I will most likely also hate, you pick your poison though).

12. CourtneyA1 macrumors newbie

My Sprint contract ends on 7/13/08. My billing cycle goes from 7/7-8/7. I did the text customer service option on the website, and the rep said that they would not prorate my bill if I cancel on 7/14 (when contract is up). Does this make sense?

They were not happy about even answering my question, it took over 10 min to get routed to the right person and get an answer.

13. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

I was going to do the exact same thing..Until I looked at ATT 3G coverage in my area...Its NOT in my area. There is 3G in the City of Tampa, but not 30 miles south of there...No sense in paying for 3g from ATT and not get it...Ill have to stick with the Instinct....:(

14. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I just love the sense of entitlement pervading these threads. :( Simply wanting something really badly justifies lying, cheating, and "crying and stomping your feet"? Why don't you just wait a few months until your contract (to which you committed) ends?

I simply don't get it. :confused:

15. aforty macrumors 65816

And that is why you FAIL. :rolleyes:

16. dap1215 macrumors regular

This is my current issue and I just can't come to a conclusive conclusion at this point on what to do. I have sprint and have had them for over 4 years now, but have 1 yr left on my current contract. Sprint just came out with the instinct and it seems pretty cool, for the most part. Weak in several areas, but somewhat strong in a few others.

The iphone looks really good, with its new features like the mobile me, apps as well as it's browsing capabilities which kick the instincts butt. But I donno if I can justify buying out of my current contract for $200, then $299 on an iphone, then some where around $119 on at&t unlimited plan, plus $30 for data and $15 for unlimited text? My current plan on sprint runs about $100 a month.

I would LOVE to sprint away from sprint, but I'm just not sure that I can justify the cost of the switch and the monthly cost of at&t's service. I live in Kansas City and according to the att service map my areas is pretty covered. But I don't know anyone that has att service and am not sure if I can or want to trust it for $150ish a month?

I may just get an instinct and hope for opera mini to come out and help the browsing on the instinct and live with the iphone for another couple years. hoo uhmm.. I donno :confused:

17. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i was thinking of ditching sprint and paying the etf too, but leaving a $30 plan is hard, especially when i haven't had any problems with them

18. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Then why be a lemming...The Iphone will be there when your contract expires, then re-evaluate...:D

19. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    the reason why i love pre-paid
    so much freedom...
    :D