Sproutcore demo musings

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cabbit, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Reference Link

Ok i have been having a noodle at sproutcore and think its might impressive in how it works. My curiosity lies in does this need to be ruby on sproutcore(i think its ruby on rails) or can i use the same javascript engine they have and develop the same application with a php back end?

PHP just because i am still learning PHP and can't even make a document.write/echo/print type thing work with rails yet.

2. Mr.nix macrumors member

That would be pretty easy to make with jquery and PHP.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Sproutcore and jQuery are very different. Sure you could accomplish similar things, but the way you would go about it is very different. Sproutcore is designed for web applications while jQuery is more for web sites. (that said I've been writing a web app in jQuery for a while now).

jQuery is much easier to take off with than Sproutcore or something like Objective-J but it's all about using the right tool for the right job. I regret jumping into my project using jQuery because the code is getting unmanageable.

That said, to answer the OP's question, I am almost 100% positive Sproutcore relies on Ruby (not sure about Rails). I haven't look too much into it beyond trying to understand how it works though.