Sprung for refurb iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thorbjorn, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

So I just wanted to thank this forum and others for helping me mull over the course of months and decide on my next Mac. (I lurk mostly, scanning, picking up tips.) My current iMac (G4, 2002) has gradually been letting me know that it wants to be put out to pasture. It's had a buzzy capacitor since I bought it, and a power button that mostly doesn't work (unless you press it assiduously--as many as 300 times--so I hardly ever turn it off). But only recently it's begun to slow down on the internet, and stutter with movies, and today (last straw) the keyboard got horribly funky. I could have just picked up another keyboard, but I knew, thanks to you, the new system I was aiming for: refurb 24" iMac. So I leapt. Ordered today; got confirmation of shipping today. Yippee! Taking a chance on Time Capsule, too.

Anyway, want to put out the good word for longevity of Macs. Currently I'm still also working off an iBook 12". And still have--in the basement--a beloved Pismo Powerbook and a Duo 2300. (Ah, memories...) When the iBook goes, I may go to an AirBook. Or I may not. Your views have been valuable to me and I'll continue to seek them out.

Can't wait for delivery of fab refurb...

2. bradbowl macrumors member

Congrats. You'll have to let us know how you like it. The refurb iMac prices are very tempting.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Congrats, I'm also waiting on my 20" iMac refurb!
    The wait is killing me:(

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I just ordered one today too. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Today is 3 weeks since I got a refurbed 20". I love the thing. Loved my mini, but love this more. If it hadnt been for the price (999) I likely would have never bought it. I realize they are trying to move product as newer iMacs are in the pipeline, but Ive never been one to have to have the latest and greatest with computer hardware. Im quite sure this will last me 3+ years or more.

And when it comes time to get something new, Ill be browsing the refurb store yet again. Between ipods and iphones and computers (1 iMac, 2 Macbooks), Ive probably bought 10 Apple refurbed products.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yep congrats. I'm waiting on my 20" refurb also.

7. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

I'm seriously thinking about going down the refurb iMac road on Tuesday. I'm so sick of waiting for the updated iMacs to arrive. The savings on those refurb 24" 2.8GHz Extremes are very tempting.