Spudger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShoG, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ShoG macrumors member

Is the spudger from http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Spudger/IF145-002 also good for using it to de-static-ify yourself with, like those bracelet grounding kits. If I were to hold this while replacing my RAM would it be safe?

It says in the description that it is an antistatic tool. Does that mean that as a tool it will not shock components or that is is also like one of those bracelets?

TIA

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you don't have an ESD wrist strap the best course of action is to simply hold the chassis with your other hand while performing the operation. The spudger is not a good substitute. It just means that it itself will not hold a charge that can zap your electronics.

B

3. TheIguana, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

It's a chunk of nylon, at best it will act as an insulator, thus it won't do anything to dissipate built up charge.

4. ShoG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys ill hold the bottom pan while I do the upgrade.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Unless your terminology is throwing me off, the bottom pan (which I am interpreting as the bottom panel that gets removed to replace the RAM) is not a good grounding point. You need to hold onto something that will allow the charge to be drawn off and dissipated. The pan just sitting there will not work for a ground.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Correct. You want to touch the part of the chassis where the RAM is so that you are at its potential. That is better than nothing if you have no path to ground.

B

7. ShoG thread starter macrumors member

Ive been reading some helpful stuff here and some youtube videos. One video said apple suggests touching the optical drive before doing anything inside, will this be the same? Or must I touch the clips that the RAM comes out of. Can you give me something that I can touch for sure inside, I have never upgraded RAM ever and want to be certain.

Would making sure I touch metal objects and get zapped be the first thing I do after removing the bottom panel, and is that alone enough? Its not like Im going to be doing a jig while swapping the RAM

The most common things I have found are to de-static myself, don't touch the gold connectors, disconnect the battery connector on the logic board. Also are there snaps on the bottom panel of the 2011 17'' model, some videos had the snaps and some didn't. The video on OWC for late 2011 MBP is the video I will be following but they don't show what to do to discharge static electricity.

----------

I have a titanium lacrosse stick, if I hold that like a cane, will that also work. I hear titanium is not a good conductor of electricity though.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The metal case for the optical drive is part of the chassis, so yes. It's a big target so go for it.

B

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The chassis should be sufficient. It is great to error on the side of caution, but it is not really that critical. I upgraded mine in the car in the parking lot twice (once to 8 GB after I got it, and then to 16 GB a few months later when the new position required more RAM, i did this out of impatience and because I wanted to make sure that the RAM was good before leaving for a long drive home). I have upgraded and built several computers over the years and was a technician in the semi-conductor industry for over 14 years. It is not as critical as it seems. Just take the back off touch the chassis, remove the old RAM and replace with the new RAM. Test and replace the back. Viola you are done.

10. ShoG thread starter macrumors member

Great I feel way better about this now. Thanks for your help guys.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Attached Files: