Spyware in my MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Nov 4, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I downloaded KNC Crew pac and while i was dragging it to my App folder it lagged for some seconds and my router restarted! This is the first time that my router restarted and i kinda freaked...

Is there a possibility there is spyware in my MBP? Or something like that?

PS:I reconfigured my router a couple of minutes ago...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Zero chance of it. Not to mention, the notion of spyware effecting a router is rather absurd.

3. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Thanks for the reply. But why did my router restart? I have him for about 11 months and this is the first time something like this happens. Coincidence?:confused:

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Usually when you change router settings it has to restart itself. Sometimes it tells you it will do this, sometimes it won't. Not all changes need a reboot, but stuff like wifi security, or IP changes or SSID name changes do. Port forwarding or firewall stuff usually doesn't need a reboot.

5. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

I think you didn't understand right what i told you. My router restarted while i had dragged the app in my applications folder. Then i freaked out, deleted the app and reseted my router. So?

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-gusious

Try it again, this time watch the behavior of both your machine, and router.

Try to recreate your symptoms.

7. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok i installed Frostwire on my MBP and had the exact same symptoms...

What's going wrong?

Also the app says that my Firewall can't let the app connect to the internet. What does that mean? The firewall from my MBP or from my router?

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-gusious

I'm beginning to think your router may be the issue.

Try this again, but connected directly - no router.

It is possible that the app is trying to use a port the router has closed, but isn't dealing with the attempted use of it well, and is crashing.

9. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Maybe you are right but i used the same app with the same router and everything was perfect!!But then i bought my MBP and from then the app won't play normally...

Oh, and i tried every combination to see which firewall is causing the problem and i found out that only if i turn off both of them the app works fine.

10. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Something is going really wrong... Sometimes, when i try to get to a site i get those messages that i'm not connected to the internet... What is going on?

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-gusious

1. You really don't need to have the Mac's firewall on. If you can stand it mentally, turn it off.

2. the router, by nature (NAT) is already a firewall, you shouldn't have anything else active.

3. Have you tried all of this without the router at all? Work from the most basic configuration, and if successful, then begin to add complexity, like a router.

12. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

No i haven't. Will there be a difference?

13. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok something's really really wrong....

I was away to eat and left my MBP home. When i came back i found that i had sign out from all the pages that i was logged in...

Please if someone knows the answer let me know...:(

Edit: Does it have something to do with DHCP clients? Cause when i'm checking my router's prefs it has that i have two of them. But i have no idea what this means...

14. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

DHCP clients are the computers connected to your router.

15. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

But there is only my MBP connected to my router wirelessly....! I have a TC and i have set it up to join my network but right now i have turned it of...

So my fears are real? Someone is hacking into my router?

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You make it sound like an epic breach of security is taking place. It really isn't. You're making this all much more dramatic than it is. First, if anyone was "hacking" into your router (whatever that means) it would not mean that your computer is being compromised in any way. I mean really? What can someone do if they can control your router settings? That in no possible way means that they have done anything to your computer. Absolutely Zero. And even if this was the case, then simply change your WiFi password and/or encryption (i.e. change WEP to WPA)!
    Second, if all of this is happening with a specific program (or at least began that way) then it is that specific program that is the problem. You also mentioned when the firewalls are turned off that everything works out fine. Bingo. Not sure what the issue is still.

If anything you can do a hard reset of the router but that will get rid of all of your settings on the router. Or just try using this program without the router at all (plug your MBP directly into the internet modem). If that works then again, its something screwy with your router. Your situation does not sound like anything malicious is happening but rather just some hardware glitch with your router. This stuff happens. But I am still about 99.9% sure this has nothing to do with spyware/virus/hackers/KGB/FBI/CIA* or any other crazy things that you may be scaring yourself over. That sort of stuff is only in the movies.

*Unless of course you are an international spy that has the top secret micro-fiche. ;)

17. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Hahaha! Those 2 last lines were funny!

Sorry for making things a little bit dramatically but i'm freaking out a little bit...

I have WPA2 for password. When i said that everything worked fine with firewalls turned off i meant that the app had access to the internet.