Spyware/Spy Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gladius11, Jun 6, 2012.

1. gladius11 macrumors newbie

Hello forums, I need some help, preferably before sunday. Allow me to elaborate, I'm a freshman at a private high school, and the school I attend lends out mac airs to all the high school, the problem is I have invalidated the contract I signed at the beginning of the year by tormenting, downloading, surfing the internet at inappropriate times, i.e. during class, using terminal, creating an personal admin, deleting users, and pirating illegal software. during the year a teacher hinted that there was either hardware or software on the computer that allowed remote tracking of when it had been used it. There is no law that i am aware of that prevents them from tracking which sites I've been on, or my downloads. In a nutshell, I need a way to find and erase history of all and any spy software before monday when I hand it in. Thanks for the help! :D

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No. The computer belongs to the school, and we cannot and will not help you violate your contract with them. If you had read the Forum FAQ/Rules, you could have realized that before you even posted the question.

jW

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

If as you suggest, there has been software installed that allows remote tracking of your use of the computer, then it's probably too late to try and cover your tracks. When you sign a contract you need to abide by the terms. I think a big boy life lesson is coming your way when you turn the MBA in.

4. gladius11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, the contract had no mention of the spyware.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

It doesn’t really matter - you violated an existing contract. It’s their laptop and the methodology that they use to determine contact violations is irrelevant. You agreed to certain provisions to use said laptop and since they own it, they have the legal right to install whatever they want with or without your consent.

You have no protections here. They are under no obligation to inform you of any software that they installed unless it violates rights that you cannot legally grant them. You are using other people’s property and you signed an agreement. Spying software is perfectly legal in this context weather they disclose it to you or not.

6. chown33, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

chown33 macrumors 604

If you're under 18, you aren't legally able to sign contracts (the age varies by state and country). So either your parents or guardian signed, in which case they're legally responsible, or the contract has no legal standing (unenforceable).

However, a school also has wide discretion on who it grants or denies class credits and diplomas to, signed contracts notwithstanding. Private schools are also free to deny attendance based on violations of their code of behavior. Violating a signed agreement, even if not a legally enforceable contract, could still violate that code.

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so you should consult a real lawyer. Oh, and if you haven't told your parents yet, you should probably start with that.

7. Bendrix macrumors member

Posting this was not a good idea. You spelled out exactly what you did that you should not have done. And they are remotely tracking your use. They probably have a screen shot of your post.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's completely irrelevant. It's the school's computer, not yours. They, and they alone, have the right to install any and all software that they choose, and you have only what rights they gave you to install any additional software you want. You do not have the right to remove the software that they installed on it (if they even did, as they may simply be using software like Remote Desktop to manage the computers).

The point is, you did something you weren't supposed to do and you're trying to cover it up, which is not something we should help you with.

jW

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If the school really care they would have told you to stop doing xyz.

But if you are worried enough to ask, don't do it unless it's your own computer.

Oh, they don't care about your pr0n.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

In a nutshell, my guess is that your teacher is full of it and told you that to scare you.

Just remove any naughty files you might have added, clear your history and turn it in. My bet is they won't know a thing and will just re-image it for next year.

11. betatest, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

betatest macrumors member

Don't Use the school computer. Return it! Buy and use your own instead.
    They probably using Root Account to tap on your computer. If the school is using a Mac. Get a PC instead. And use it in your home. Don't bring it to school. Learn Linux, BSD.

Recently there are cases of school spying on their school kids via web cam!

Cover the web cam! And check to see if led light indicator is on.

They will use ARD, Remote Desktop, Screen Sharing, Remote Login. Yes there are many third party monitoring software for the Mac.

TRUST NO ONE is the key for your own security!

In this forum, no one is encouraging to use Macscan. (macscan.securemac.com)

The best methods is to crash the computer! LOL! Just kidding.

Well there are smart kids who buy Mac OS X and ILife and format the harddisk! (Zero out and reinstall the OS X) LOL!