Spyware, Viruses, Etc.

NTGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I just order my first Mac on Aug 16 and had a couple of questions.

1. Will I have to worry about spyware,malware, viruses, etc? I will be using my computer mainly on campus.

2. Are there any other need to know facts for a mac newbie.

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I am a long time windows user.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
*sigh* Any anti-virus/spyware programs for the Mac simply slows your Mac down. It's quote necessary unquote in this Windows-dominated world, where people are worried about our Macs transmitting viruses to their precious boxes.

Sleep soundly and download that big file; welcome to the fold!

Oh, yes. No defragging. We don't need it. Can't tell you much more about the first time because I've never switched. I can tell you about my first time with Windows, though... THAT was a travesty... :D

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
2. Are there any other need to know facts for a mac newbie.

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I am a long time windows user.
Welcome aboard! Words of advice: Just remember to search the forums before starting new threads, okay? You'll soon find that questions like these have probably already been asked and answered plenty of times. The less time we can all spend on repeat questions, the more time we can spend on the trickier issues. Thanks! :)

NTGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for all the information! You've all been a great help! I will remember to search the forums next time;)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
That scans for WINDOWS viruses, so you don't pass on infected files to unprotected PCs...
It actually does both:

Back in the days before OS X, the number of viruses which attacked Macintosh users totalled somewhere between about 60 and 80. Today, the number of viruses actively attacking OS X users is...NONE! However, this doesn't mean we should get complacent about checking incoming email attachments or web downloads, for two reasons. Firstly, there's no guarantee that we Mac users will continue to enjoy the status quo, but more importantly, the majority of the computing world use machines running MS Windows, for which an enormous quantity of viruses exist, so we must be vigilant in checking the files we pass on to our friends and colleagues etc. For example, if you're a wise person and you've turned MS Office's macro support off then you're not going to notice that virus which is hiding inside this month's edition of Extreme Ironing.doc which your friend sent you. If you then forward that document to a less wise person who has not turned off the macro support, then you have most likely just sent him a shiny new Pandora's Box with a sign saying "Open this end"!