Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

media991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Hi All,

I have been asked to run the following SQL command into a joomla database to put a field for the ABN:
ALTER TABLE `jos_vm_vendor` ADD `vendor_abn` VARCHAR( 32 ) NULL AFTER `vendor_store_name` ;

Does anyone know how to do this on a mac and what software i need to connect to the server via the internet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Does the site have phpMyAdmin installed on it? It's a very common database interface web app, and makes the interaction easier. If it is installed you'll also need to know the URL for it as well as the user name and password to get in. You'll need that info about the database server regardless of how you connect to it.

I'm assuming it's using MySQL rather than SQL. If you have MySQL installed on your machine you can connect through Terminal to the machine if you know what port number it's setup on (ex., domain.com:8090).

media991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks angelwatt for your reply, i am in the cpanel and yes it has phpMyAdmin installed and the databases are mySql.

I have the usernames and passwords so hopefully this helps.

Do you know where i should go next?

Thanks again for helping :)

media991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
in the phpMyAdmin i have gone to the database and entered in "ALTER TABLE `jos_vm_vendor` ADD `vendor_abn` VARCHAR( 32 ) NULL AFTER `vendor_store_name` ;" into the Run SQL query/queries... is this right?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
in the phpMyAdmin i have gone to the database and entered in "ALTER TABLE `jos_vm_vendor` ADD `vendor_abn` VARCHAR( 32 ) NULL AFTER `vendor_store_name` ;" into the Run SQL query/queries... is this right?

If that's the command they want you to run, then yup that's the right spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.