SQL Server Express - Bootcamp or VMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cjrulli, Sep 20, 2016.

1. cjrulli macrumors regular

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with running SQL Server Express through Bootcamp or VMWare? I'm going to be learning SQL soon and will need to use SQL Server Express but my personal computer is a MBP.

Has anyone had any kind of compatibility issues running this on their MAC? Theoretically if I have the newest version of VMWare, should I be ok?

Thanks!

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

SQL server Express will run on pretty small system, so you should have no trouble running it on Bootcamp, don't use VMWare. I run Full SQL Server under Parallels with no issues.

3. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

Do you use Paralells pro or basic? Is there a strong difference between VMWare and Parallels? I'd rather not pay a subscription fee.

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

I have Pro. It works well. Never tried VMWare.

5. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the insight!

6. Chewwy420a macrumors newbie

Chewwy420a

I run Win 10 with SQL 2012 Express on VM Fusion without any issues.

7. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

How is your experience with VMWare? Do you find you need to upgrade it often? I like that it's a one time fee vs subscription.

8. Chewwy420a macrumors newbie

Chewwy420a

everything runs good. no issues so far. They just released version 8.5 with full support for Sierra just last week. they don't update it that much and anything in the 8.x would be free but they do charge upgrade fee for any major release. Like I'm sure there will be a charge whenever they come out with version 9. Of coarse you don't need to upgrade...