Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I just started an SQL class last semester, and all through that we had to use MSSQL etc for the project I was making. We're doing another SQL project this semester, and I'm not really that keen on firing up VMWare again every time I want to work on it.

So, are there any good SQL IDE's for Mac OS? Anything I can use to draw my tables with before actually doing anything?

And most importantly, will it be possible for me to move this over to MSSQL afterwards? My university is fairly Microsoft orientated, and the professors all evaluate the work with MSSQL and under Windows.

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Go to Oracle's website and take a look at SQL Developer. That may be what you are looking for.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
So, are there any good SQL IDE's for Mac OS? Anything I can use to draw my tables with before actually doing anything?

And most importantly, will it be possible for me to move this over to MSSQL afterwards? My university is fairly Microsoft orientated, and the professors all evaluate the work with MSSQL and under Windows.

You should transfer immediately. =)

Just kidding (sort of). I would get myself more familiar with using command line interfaces to SQL if possible. I believe that mysql ships with OS X, and i think postgres is pretty trivial to get installed.

What it sounds like you're actually requesting is a database design tool, not really a database system or frontend. I haven't used a visual database design tool myself, but I believe you can do this with OmniGraffle. If you're wanting to just have a "client" on OS X that connects to MSSQL and displays the tables, etc. that might be a bit taller of an order. If I had to search for such a thing, I would try to find a java tool that accepts any JDBC driver to do its thing, as there is a JDBC driver for MSSQL.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful on this, I'm much more of a command line guy, and for RDBMSs I so far prefer postgresql over others.

-Lee

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
CocoaSQL I believe is a fairly simple IDE that you can do some table manipulation with. I will look up what else I use on my machine.

I haven't seen anything free that can do what you are asking.

Edit: or we should just write an app to meet your needs :D

AquaDataStudio is the best cross (DB) platform tool, IMHO. There are plenty of JDBC GUI wrappers available (try Squirrel).

The best development tools are by-and-large from the database manufacturers / developers themselves, be that Oracle, IBM, MS etc.

I would be interested to know exactly what you are covering at university that requires such a tool, though. Much of the data-design software out there is aimed (not to mention priced!) at the large scale, "enterprise" market.

Finally, and in the *nicest* possible way, you are working on an MS Platform, will be marked on an MS platform and you aren't going to be doing yourself any favours by trying to shoehorn a Mac in there.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I would be interested to know exactly what you are covering at university that requires such a tool, though. Much of the data-design software out there is aimed (not to mention priced!) at the large scale, "enterprise" market.

Finally, and in the *nicest* possible way, you are working on an MS Platform, will be marked on an MS platform and you aren't going to be doing yourself any favours by trying to shoehorn a Mac in there.

Thanks for the advice. :) I'm not trying to shoehorn a Mac in there though. The professors are all very open to other platforms as well, but since Mac's have had a miniscule part of the market over here until the last few years (I'm in Norway btw) none of them have much experience with it. The thing is that when they're testing my database and it's triggers etc etc they'll be testing it on MSSQL since that's what they have installed.

I don't mind using MSSQL, but if I don't have to fire up VMWare every time I want to work a bit on it then that would be a godsend.

EDIT: Oh, and they're not trying to learn us MSSQL either, just SQL in general and understanding the principles behind relationship databases etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.