SQLite - Create Database?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Fritzables, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Fritzables, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011

Fritzables macrumors regular

Hi All,

As part of the application I am currently writing using XCode I want to use SQLite as the preferred database.

From what I can gather, to create a database, you do this via a terminal session. For example: sqlite3 test.db

If I wanted to create a database within XCode, how would I achieve this?

I am happy with all the SQL statements as I used this when I was coding under Visual Studio using SQL Server.

It just the creation of a database via XCode and SQLite. I am pretty new to all this Mac stuff.

Pete

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I'm assuming your asking how to create a database programmatically when your program runs, as opposed to clicking something in XCode itself to create a database.

The sqlite3_open (or sqlite3_open16 or sqlite3_open_v2) function will create a database if the database attempting to be opened doesn't exist.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Xcode is a development tool. It's not a computer language.

Xcode itself can work with a number of different computer languages, such as C, Java, Python, and shell scripts. None of those are the same language, and you'd create a sqlite database in very different ways in each language.

So what language are you coding in?

4. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Jimi,

That's all I need to know. Yes, to create a database within the application I am writing.

Chown33 - I am using Cocoa with XCode.

Pete

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Cocoa isn't a language, either. It's a class library or framework.

Objective-C is the language Cocoa is written in. Objective-C is a superset of the C language.