SQLite database recognition error

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by eshroom, Apr 23, 2009.

  1. eshroom macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    #1
    I have used a Perl extraction utility to compile a SQLite database from an iTunes backup of my iPhone phonebook. Don't ask how it got deleted or why iTunes is unable to restore from the particular backup I need.

    I am so close, having compiled the database, SQLite Database Browser 1.3 is unable to recognise the file. I have looked at the contents of the file and amongst the jargon all my much needed names are inside, but the numbers are mixed up in the jargon and I am unable to see them.

    Can anyone offer any help as to how I may turn my database into a usable one.


    Further info on the process I went through to create the database is available on TUAW and here is a link to the database file I created.

    Any help would be immensely appreciated. I am frustratingly close to recovering my phone book...
     
  2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

    lee1210

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #2
    With this file o' junk that you have, do you wish to get it into sqllite in a usable format? If so, where will you go from there? That won't get it back onto your phone in a usable format, unless you are going to just re-enter things into address book on your mac manually.

    If all you need is human-readable data so you can re-enter things, it seems like the code you used to generate the file is your most valuable resource right now... it should be pretty easy to take it's output routine, "reverse" it so you have in-memory records, then write it out in a more readable format.

    -Lee
     
  3. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    #3
    I've been a bit dim here. The backup files iTunes used to make, were in essence SQLite files which just needed minor modifications to become readable, iTunes decided to make everyones lives difficult and changed their formatting.

    I hav no idea where to go from here in terms of making apple's *.mdbackup files readable again. Thanks for your input Lee. I'll keep thinking, though I'm really not sure what I can come up with.
     

Share This Page