Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
I'm finding the touch screen control layout pretty easy to use and my fingers are moving where they need to go without thought. It's pretty difficult/impossible to jump/roll AND shoot though; firing has to take a wee break if you want to do either of these. That's my only two niggles so far.

It definitely looks better than the PS version.

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Awesome! One of my favourite games growing up!

Mine too!

This is amazing. It includes the 2 extra levels I've never played! 69p!

Cheers MacRumors for reporting this stuff. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Interview with the dude that did the music if you haven't read it: http://platform-online.net/2013/11/interview-with-nathan-mccree/

Finally, while it downloads, what games am I missing?

Cheers!

Nice collection. I'd recommend Max Payne Mobile and Carmageddon. The latter is one of the highest quality and well done iOS ports I've ever seen.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm finding the touch screen control layout pretty easy to use and my fingers are moving where they need to go without thought. Having to enter a walking 'mode' however does mean no running dives, and it's pretty difficult/impossible to jump AND shoot; firing has to take a wee break if you want to jump. Those are my only two niggles so far.

It definitely looks better than the PS version.

As much as I tried, I can't get used to the touch controls. Maybe it's because I'm playing it on my iPad, but the whole thing feels cumbersome and floaty to me. It's still the great game it's always been, but, my opinion, it needs an MFi controller to really get the most out of it.

And yeah, it's much, much better looking than it did on the PS. Going from the icons in the main menu, I'm thinking it's based off the old 3D accelerated PC version with the resolution jacked up to 2048x1536.

edit: Kind of an aside, but are the iCade controllers MFi compatible? I wouldn't mind having an 8-bitty for games like this.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
Hm. I'm noticing some music is missing. I remember there being dramatic xylophone music in an area or 2 when wolves appear in the first level. Was this music in the PC version?

On the other hand, it's nice to hear the sound for a Secret without also hearing the background sound effects stop and the CD search for the Secret track ;)

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
"bringing the popular 1996 action-adventure game to mobile devices for the first time"

Ngage had Tomb Raider.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
edit: Kind of an aside, but are the iCade controllers MFi compatible? I wouldn't mind having an 8-bitty for games like this.

I really don't think that they are, since they came out before Apple started MFi.

I have a suspicion that the iCade people are preparing to release a new MFi version though. The 8-Bitty kept decreasing in price over the past few months on the thinkgeek website (aren't they the main retailer for iCade?) as if they were going on clearance, and now it's completely out of stock.

Either that or it was just selling horribly and they gave up on it. I really hope they release an MFi version though. The only thing that kept me from it was that it was hardly compatible with anything interesting.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This game is hard enough to play with a KB+M I don't hold hope for the touchscreen players

+M? This game did not support mouse, keyboard only. No analog sticks on the PS 1 either, only digital buttons.

For one, I'm glad they kept the controls authentic. It would've totally changed the feel of the game, ruining nostalgia, had they changed them. If you want better controls, play a modern Tomb Raider.

----------

Is it just me, or does the game look too well lit? Like everything is super bright. I'm pretty sure the original had some sort of shadows in the corners. ;/

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
How is she controversial? Are you saying you are surprised that Apple did not nerf her pixelated DD breasts?

Lara Croft caused quite the stir when she was initially introduced, even if her chest did look like it could cut you with its sharpness.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This game is unplayable due to the touch controls thats why it so cheap.

2 levels in and its as smooth as the original for me, on an iPad air. I can pretty much get her to jump and move anywhere i please. and the graphics are enhanced imo it looks awesome for $0.99 a deal if you want to relive some great fun.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I played this game for about an hour last night and I got to the very end of the 2nd level…

There is the red-roofed structure with three doors. I got up to the second switch to open the middle, final, door and it showed it opening. I then went back down to the doors and it was closed (??). So I went back up to the top to try the switch again. It was still switched to open. Then when I tried to go back down, I fell off the high structure and died, and then I'm back at the beginning of the level. [insert laughing emoticon]

This game almost ruined my evening. I don't know if I want to go back to it.

Renzatic

Suspended
...Either that or it was just selling horribly and they gave up on it. I really hope they release an MFi version though. The only thing that kept me from it was that it was hardly compatible with anything interesting.

Same here. The first batch of MFi controllers hasn't been all that impressive, while the iCades are still holding up better from a design standpoint. ThinkGeek just letting them slide off into obscurity would be a little tragedy.

Oh, and as for your ruined evening...yeah, make sure you save every once in awhile. :p

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Oh, and as for your ruined evening...yeah, make sure you save every once in awhile. :p

Am I missing some way to save in the middle of a level? My issue was that it seemed like some weird glitch (the switch was switched! it showed the door open! and then it was closed!), and then I went up to check and died in the process and have to do the whole of Level 2 over again. Sigh…

It is kind of funny how part of the puzzle and challenge of the game is due to the cumbersome controls, and yet the control style still works as a style choice for the game rather than working against it (once you get used to the way they work).

Renzatic

Suspended
Am I missing some way to save in the middle of a level?

Yup. It's kinda unintuitive, specially with touch controls, but you can save any time by hitting pause, going to the passport on the menu, and cllcking "save game" when it pops up.

My issue was that it seemed like some weird glitch (the switch was switched! it showed the door open! and then it was closed!), and then I went up to check and died in the process and have to do the whole of Level 2 over again. Sigh…

Sounds like bog standard Tomb Raider. It's been awhile, and can't remember much of the second level, but it's a pretty safe bet to say that it probably closed on you at some point. Timed doors, gates, traps, and what have you are very, very common throughout the game.

It is kind of funny how part of the puzzle and challenge of the game is due to the cumbersome controls, and yet the control style still works as a style choice for the game rather than working against it (once you get used to the way they work).

One thing you say about the controls is that they're a little stiff and mechanical, but you do get used to them. When I first played it back in the day, I barely felt like I could control it when I first started, but ended up being pretty agile and graceful by the end of it.

If you're comfortable with the touch controls, you will (well...maybe) get used to it after awhile.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I realise you are referring to other adaptions of the title on other platforms; but if it is the first to this platform, does it need to be referred to as "latest" as there are no other adaptions for mobile to confuse it with?

Actually, I remember it being released for Windows Pocket PC in 2002.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.