Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

Is there a setting I can change, to get a full screen output from the 2020 iPad Pro - when I HMDI plug Ipad into TV and Monitor?

Do I need to install drivers etc?

TV:
For Prime TV, You Tube, Skype etc.

Monitor:
Actual Ipad screen, so can use external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Hope you can help
[automerge]1593268965[/automerge]
I’m using a Hommie USB-C Hub BTW. It plugs into the ipad and the HMDI Lead plugs into that and the TV etc.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi All,

Is there a setting I can change, to get a full screen output from the 2020 iPad Pro - when I HMDI plug Ipad into TV and Monitor?

Do I need to install drivers etc?

TV:
For Prime TV, You Tube, Skype etc.

Monitor:
Actual Ipad screen, so can use external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Hope you can help
[automerge]1593268965[/automerge]
I’m using a Hommie USB-C Hub BTW. It plugs into the ipad and the HMDI Lead plugs into that and the TV etc.

Only certain apps will utilize full-screen on a monitor when in use - video and streaming apps primarily but a few others. iOS in and of itself only mirrors the iPad and its aspect ratio. What you're seeing is normal behavior.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi S,

Thanks for the info.

BTW: Do you know if Skype will go to full TV screen? If Skype no good, will any of the other video conferencing apps work? (Zoom etc.)

We were hoping for a group Chat tommotow with friends ?

The IPAD home screen looked pretty grainy on the TV, as well as being square. I take it that’s the best I can expect from the PAD OS, if I try to work with the TV as an external monitor?

Regards
Martin

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Hi S,

Thanks for the info.

BTW: Do you know if Skype will go to full TV screen? If Skype no good, will any of the other video conferencing apps work? (Zoom etc.)

We were hoping for a group Chat tommotow with friends ?

The IPAD home screen looked pretty grainy on the TV, as well as being square. I take it that’s the best I can expect from the PAD OS, if I try to work with the TV as an external monitor?

Regards
Martin
I’m afraid, for now, it’s all you can expect yes. I’m sure this will change in the future, but for the mo external monitor support is very weak with the iPad.

don’t know about Skype, but some apps can take advantage of the full screen. You may have better luck with FaceTime, but you just have to try it out really.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.