Square Trade Insuarance -- iPhone 4 experiences

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philipb91, Feb 4, 2011.

1. philipb91 macrumors member

I recently purchased the insurance through verizon for the 10.99 a month, however I can cancel it.

I would like to hear some experiences with square trade, how does it work, how fast is it, and do they replace your 4 with a brand new one if you have a claim?

Thanks so much, I'll hang up and listen.

2. SpaceEdge macrumors member

I won a Square Trade iPhone 4 insurance giveaway contest on Crunch Gear or some other sort of tech website when the iPhone 4 first came out. I haven't had the need to use it yet but from what I understand If something happens to my iPhone they charge $50 and they send you a new(?) one. I think you can do this twice in two years. Like I said I haven't had the need to use it and I got the insurance for free during a giveaway.

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I bought the Square Trade warranty for my iPhone 4 but haven't had to use it. I paid $84.00 plus tax for the 2 year warranty. It does not cover lost or stolen phones. Coverage includes accidental damage from spills, drops, and other accidental breakage. There is a $50 deductible when claiming accidental damage. Claims that fall under normal-use mechanical and electrical failure are not subject to any deductibles. When you file a claim that has a deductible, they will pay out the unsubsidized cost of the phone less the $50.00 deductible, i.e., for a 16 GB iPhone 4, they will pay you $549.00. Taxes will be on you.

4. philipb91 thread starter macrumors member

Think I should ditch the verizon crap?

I think I can manage not losing or having it stolen (knock on wood).

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Cancel your Verizion insurance. You'll still pay $199 if you broke your phone, on top of the $11 a month. But, if you go to Apple with your broken phone they'll sell you a new one for the same $199, sans the $11 a month.

6. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

+1

Another good thing about the SquareTrade warranty is that you can cancel anytime you want and they will give you a prorated refund (maybe subject to not having made any claims). If you cancel within the first 60 days, you get a full refund of your payment.

7. philipb91 thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to have Apple Care in order to get the 199 deal through Apple if I broke it?

8. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

If I am not wrong, Apple Care does not cover broken phones. I do not see the connection between Apple Care and the $199.00 though.