Square Trade vs Applecare

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Soulflower, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

I have a new iPad 2 and I want to get either a Square Trade warranty or AppleCare. I just had to call for phone support because I couldn't get the picture to show up on my Apple TV when playing a movie.

While Square Trade covers accidents and AppleCare doesn't, Apple Care does cover phone support.

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. mmf01 macrumors member

Get both. That's what I did. AppleCare covers you for immediate in-store replacement on most issues whereas Squaretrade will ship you a replacement and you have to wait. Also, I believe Squaretrade sends you back to Apple for warranty type issues during the first year, so having both solves for just about everything except lost/stolen.

3. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

Getting both is pretty expensive. Not sure I can spend that much more in addition to the iPad. That's why I was trying to decide between the two.

4. Jordan9 macrumors member

Jordan9

I ended up getting SquareTrade instead of AppleCare, mainly because of price and the accident coverage. And Apple still covers it for a year of technical problems. I had my iPad 2 replaced a few months ago with no problems.

I also bought SquareTrade for a couple other electronic items, and luckily haven't needed to use them. So I can't say how their service is on that.

5. hasek3139, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

hasek3139 macrumors 6502

i would choose square trade, it is a far better deal, i have made multiple claims and never paid a deductible

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I'm a pretty careful person so AppleCare is perfect peace of mind fo e on my apple products. There is an apple store one hour from me and they have been great with my iPhone so no reason to go with anyone else in my opinion.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

You may want to look at the overall coverage.

Whether or not your a careful person accidents do happen. If they didn't companies like squaretrade, Allstate, geico, and others wouldn't be in business.

I have squaretrade for all my i products. I would rather be without a device for a few days than have to repurchase a device due to an accident.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

SquareTrade is good but one thing to keep in mind is that depending on the nature of the damage they don't actually fix/repair/replace the unit itself, but rather offer you a paypal/gift card/check reimbursement for repairs you pay for out of pocket at the Apple Store.

I dropped an iPhone into a tumbler of water and even after drying the thing out in rice for a few days, it still had lost all audio capabilities. I had SquareTrade, filed my claim and they honored but, but I had to go to the Apple store, pay $199 for an out-of-warranty refurb swap (they seldom actually repair anything) and then filed with Square Trade for reimbursement. They sent $149 ($199 less $50 deductible) to my Paypal account within a few days after.

It works, but not quite as effortless as AppleCare. Then again....AppleCare doesn't cover water damage so in my opinion, it was still worth it.