Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abnospam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All -

Does anyone know what happens to a 3 year Squaretrade warranty if I upgrade 1 year before expiration to iPhone 4? Does it transfer? Or do I get a discount on the policy for IP4 and rip up my old warranty?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The warranty goes with the phone, not the person. If you stop using the phone the warranty is still in effect for the length of the term you purchased. You can't xfer it to another device. You have to buy a separate warranty for the new one. However, if you sell the old phone you can advertise the warranty. It's a good selling point.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
You can also cancel the warranty and get a prorated amount back.

I can confirm this. I have cancelled Squaretrade warranties in the past when I have replaced and/or sold other items (including the Kindle I sold when I bought the iPad). You can even do so through their website and avoid the hassel of calling and waiting on hold. When vieweing your warranty details online there is a "cancel plan" link on the right hand side of the webpage. Only downside is that they have to credit back the payment method originally used fopr online returns.

For my cancellation of the iPhone 3G warranty my credit card number was changed by my back and I have to call them to put the credit through to a different CC number. Tried calling them after the 4G launch and was on hold for a long time before giving up. Have to try again after the launch fever dies down. After all $30 bucks is still worth something (although based on todays market losses - it may not be for long!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.