SquareTrade-Anyone ever filed a claim on their iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rhaeny, Oct 1, 2013.

1. rhaeny macrumors newbie

I have an iMac early 2009 24inch that the display has suddenly started going bad. There are dark streaks on the screen of which I first thought was dust, however wiping it doesn't clean it :eek:.

I bought it off of ebay used almost 2 years ago so I got the squaretrade warranty of which I completely forgot about. I actually mentioned this issue in another thread and then I read something about applecare which jogged my memory that I had bought the squaretrade warranty. It runs out in November so I was lucky to have remembered this.

But my question is, has anyone filed a claim with them before on their iMac and how was the service? Just curious as to what they will do with my iMac because it will probably cost a nice penny to replace the screen.

2. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

Those streaks are caused by smoke going through the machine and sticking to the screen. I had mine replaced a couple years ago and it is back now. Basically you need to ask yourself if you have contributed to the smoky environment, if so then it would be kind'a cheesy to file a claim on it against the person who sold it to you.

Good luck with what ever you do.

3. rhaeny thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you talking about? There is nothing cheesy about my question. This thread is about filing a claim with SQUARETRADE!!!!! I said nothing about filing a claim with the person who sold it to me. Reading is fundamental.

And if it is smoke then there has to be some sort of leak in it which there shouldn't be a flaw like that. So I'm just looking for those people who may have had experience with SquareTrade and their claim services.

4. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

Just trying to help, as I said, good luck.

While I have spent over $10,000. over the years on eBay I have never read about the square trade warranty, if it can help you out then that would be great. I take it from your comment that there is no blowback to the seller.

Of course the iMac has to draw air through the case, that would not be a flaw.

5. bluescale macrumors member

It sounds to me like you're not familiar with SquareTrade. It's essentially an extended warranty he purchased. I can't think of any reason he shouldn't try filing a claim with them:

http://www.squaretrade.com/desktop-warranty

6. rhaeny thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay no problem. But yea, no blowback to the seller at all. Especially after 2 years. That would be ludicrous to even attempt something like that.

As for the machine drawing air, well okay. Not going to dispute that at all since I am nowhere near mechanically inclined. But if that's the case why doesn't my TV, MBP, iPad and iPhone all have the same issue? That is what is so bizarre about this conclusion.

Well actually I'm a she...LOL!!

Glad you had another viewpoint to think about because I felt a little salty about the "cheesy" part of the comment :eek:.

7. bluescale macrumors member

Haha...All three of us made incorrect assumptions in this thread. The joys of the internet. No harm no foul all around, I'm sure.

8. libertysat macrumors regular

I bought square's warrantee for my '09 iMac and never had to use it

Also bought warranties for my iPhones and MBA
    I had my phone replaced by going to apple store giving them my broke phone & $140.
    Emailed receipt to square & a few days later had a check for $140 in mailbox

9. rhaeny thread starter macrumors newbie

Well so far so good. SquareTrade had a technician call me today and that's after just filing a claim yesterday. Explained what was going on with my screen and the technician said that he is ordering new parts and when they come in he will call me to setup a visit to put it in.

Sooo it looks like things are quickly moving forward and I'm going to get me a brand new screen :).

Now just have to wait and see how the actual visit and repair goes!